Default Ramsgate Marina now all well ??

I seem to remember last year there was talk of Ramsgate Marina being dredged and partially inacessible ?. Tried calling them earlier but got voicemail ...... Does anyone know the latest situation (I draw 1.9m) ?. Was going to have a blast over to Ostend this coming week but winds making Ramsgate more preferable !.. thanks chaps ,,,,,,
    Life is just far far too short.
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/pipedreamii/

CliveG is offline Registered User

Alan

It was o.k. when we where in there last September.
    But then we only need 1.5m
    Dyslexia ruels k.o.

Going to give Soutwold a try next weekend far more preferable to Ramsgit ECP says most dredged to 2.5M now but if you want to leave close to LW check the depth of your berth on arrival and work out your departure

Hopefully Ostend the following week again much nicer than Ramsgit

Quote Originally Posted by petehb View Post
    Going to give Soutwold a try next weekend far more preferable to Ramsgit ECP says most dredged to 2.5M now but if you want to leave close to LW check the depth of your berth on arrival and work out your departure

Practice you "Handbrake turns" prior to entry
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Practice you "Handbrake turns" prior to entry
    It will be anchor (35lb CQR) at the ready in case she won't turn into the tide

It will be anchor (35lb CQR) at the ready in case she won't turn into the tide
    Bilgediver has a Bruce 25 Tonner if that would help
    I may be wrong but not always

If it's springs the ebb goes like a train, until low water, but the entrance is exciting anyway depending on the wind! 1.5 over the cill at low water, by coastal voyager. Make sure you book a berth for the town quay, but five rafted isn't my idea of fun!!! The sailing club isn't always open, so otherwise a long walk to the campsite for showers. Nice place though!

I quite like Ramsgit!
    Last edited by Victoria Sponge; 17-04-11 at 19:37.

Southwold

You get alot of MOBO's from Lowestoft if the weather is good, The town key can get very crowded. You can always ask the Harbour Master if you can use one of the pontoons that they have available. No electric or water. You can get water on the town quay. Diesel is from a bowser moved around by a tractor Its about 15 a night

The Sailing Club is open in the evening from about 7pm. You have to go via the bar if you want a shower. Not many visitors stop for a drink bit like Royston Vasey ( Local bar for LOCAL people )

As LS says the entrance is not very nice if you have an easterly blowing and an ebb tide. Wait outside in the bay and go in on a rising tide. If you pass the Town Quay then you need to think about turning as the next bit is a very low bridge

Tides can be 4kts at springs. Don't be surprised if you get rafted out into the river. You will need long shore lines.

IMHO I think Ramsgate is better

Pye_End is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CPD View Post
    I seem to remember last year there was talk of Ramsgate Marina being dredged and partially inacessible ?. Tried calling them earlier but got voicemail ...... Does anyone know the latest situation (I draw 1.9m) ?. Was going to have a blast over to Ostend this coming week but winds making Ramsgate more preferable !.. thanks chaps ,,,,,,
    Buckets of water there now. The dredger was scooping up mud at the entrance to the middle harbour this week, but for the need of the ships rather than yachts. Quite a few bigger boats there servicing the wind farm in both sets of outer pontoons. The 'fishing marina' is currently being re-vitalised with new pontoons plus some very meaty piles. I am guessing that the fishy area has also been dredged, but it was a very neap tide so couldn't really get to judge.