Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gill Boots

awol is online now Registered User

Default Gill Boots

I know the argument that says the cost of 1 pair of DuBarry/Musto = 6 pairs Gill rubber boots and will last longer, but at the time I was buying these they were absolutely needed and there wasn't a pair of DB/M on Mull that fitted me. The boots have managed to survive a magnificent 7 months, 3 of which they weren't worn at all, and have split along the seam at the back of the leg.
    Having tried bike puncture repair and hypalon kits in the past without much success, does the panel have any advice (apart from buy DB/M) on a patching technique?

My Gill boots are still fine after 4 years, but that's not surprsing since I've only worn them twice

Default Gill Boots

Mine split at the joints made using the red material. A few weeks earlier my wife's failed through the material at the toes
    My trusty local chandlers changed them both without the slightest comment.
    Had to check out several pairs as some did not have the lining material covering 100% of the interior.
    Suggests there is a well established manufacturing problem.

Apart from the price the big advantge that the Gill boots have over the Dubs is that there are a few inches longer - very important if you don't have pontoon / marina access to your boat.

rob2 is offline Registered User

If you still have proof of purchase, I suggest you send the defective boots to Gill and demand your money back! I was disappointed when my boots (unknown make from boat jumble) cracked up after five years - only because they had been accidentally folded at the bottom of a locker.

Rob.

KenMcCulloch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    I know the argument that says the cost of 1 pair of DuBarry/Musto = 6 pairs Gill rubber boots and will last longer, but at the time I was buying these they were absolutely needed and there wasn't a pair of DB/M on Mull that fitted me. The boots have managed to survive a magnificent 7 months, 3 of which they weren't worn at all, and have split along the seam at the back of the leg.
    Having tried bike puncture repair and hypalon kits in the past without much success, does the panel have any advice (apart from buy DB/M) on a patching technique?
    I would bind them with sailcloth impregnated with Stockholm Tar. Failing that, Gaffer Tape.
    Ken McCulloch
    Rival 38 'Cherry Ripe'

gunman is offline Registered User

Awh no, I've just bought a pair of cheapy wellies. Can the DB ones be used to wade out when getting into a tender? I would have thought that may be bad for them over a period.

colvic987 is offline Registered User

I have a pair of gill yachting boots, the ones with shoelace top and fancy red line around the outside of the boot.

I have found that the calf area is quite narrow, compared the past types of gill boots, and mine now have a slight leak which after two years of very little use, and stored at home each week, are basically not fit for purpose.

Although i tend to put up with it, would not be buying another pair, most yachting welly boots tend to be designed to look good and not designed for longevity, my garden boots will last decades, so why dont the yachting ones get developed to last longer.

The worst make i have worn were the standard plastimo, the rubber just rotted away.

ctva is online now Registered User

I've used Gill tall yachting boots for decades and before that the Javlin boots and the quality is pretty good as far as I've found. I tend to get 1-2 seasons out of them and that includes sailing in the big boat, working at the sailing club and working in various places for RYA stuff. I tend to wear out the soles at the heels first. At the same time, I get occasional cracks at the wear / fold points at the top of the heel or the bottom of the calf. But as I said, 1-2 seasons so much cheaper than the over priced posh ones!

I might buy a pair though to wear to the pub as that seems to be where they are shown off.

Coaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by colvic987 View Post
    ...so why dont the yachting ones get developed to last longer...
    As with most things in life there is usually a relationship between price and quality. My wife's Musto wellies are 20 years old and still in good condition, albeit they're not worn particularly frequently.

Of course there is the occasional exception to the rule but I'd expect a 200 pair of boat boots to last a lot longer than a 20 pair.

Seajet is offline Registered User

I have a pair of DuBarry clones, not as much but still around 100, and hardly ever wear them, useless - feeboard is too low and if they get wet inside that's it for quite a while, and the outer fabric may be tough but it stains quite easily.

I knew someone with Gill boots and the outer surface sort of peeled like old varnish !

I would very strongly recommend Musto M1 wellies, they're the traditional rubbery type, quite tall & no drawstring.

Brilliant kit, long lasting, good grip, comfortable.

Surprisingly hard to find in chandleries, I know one place which certainly used to do them is the Marine Superstore at Port Solent.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association www.anderson22class.co.uk