Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I think they have cracked it. The tug has been holding her at this angle and they are running a pump to dewater the barge.
    Last edited by TQA; 21-08-11 at 19:23.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Great pics and story. One of the things that I love about being on the water is that there's almost always a situation happening around about to keep you interested.

If you see a Rival 36 called Osprey, give them a wave. It's my Mum, Dad, brother and girlfriend and I think they are going into Bequia anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Helly View Post
    One of the things that I love about being on the water is that there's almost always a situation happening around about to keep you interested.
    Too true - the last time I was in Bequia we managed to get the dinghy painter round the prop as we came in! Succeeded in dropping anchor quickly giving me time to dive down with a serrated knife and cut it free!

A great show for all the other boats!

Richard

Default SUCCESS!

Hi Helly

Osprey was anchored next to us for a couple of days and we wished them Bon voyage as they set off for the Tobeago Cays.

THE BARGE IS UPRIGHT well almost.

I bet there is a bottle or two being cracked onboard the tug tonight. They got the barge turned over and pumped out enough water so as it looks like it is stable now.

JOB DONE!
    Last edited by TQA; 21-08-11 at 19:23.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Default Re: SUCCESS!

Apologies for dragging up such an old thread again, but I thought that maybe some folk on here might be interested in knowing what subsequently happened to this poor barge.

There are some more photos of the barge (upside down still) in this thread - the poster is a marine surveyor in St Lucia.
    http://www.lucianriders.com/forum/vi...YA4zPoqDFMGoaw

After righting her successfully in Bequia she was put back into service.
    And a few years later she capsized again, this time while bringing a cargo of pozzolan from Martinique to Barbados for the Arawak Cement Company here.
    Or rather she arrived here (Barbados) with a heavy list - and the Authorities refused adamantly to allow her to enter the harbor, or even to be beached. After stooging around outside for the next 12 hours, the inevitable happened and she flipped, dumping 2,000 tonnes of pozzolan into deep water off Bridgetown.
    A pal of mine subsequently bought her 'as is, where is' (ie upside down) at anchor in Carlisle Bay and towed her (still upside down!) 100 miles west to Carriacou in the Grenadines where she was righted (again).

I later heard that she is no longer in service now.
    One reason for being a bit 'tippy' was that she was much narrower than when she was originally built.
    At some stage in her life she had run aground and all the shell plating along one chine was well mashed up.
    So they just chopped it back to good plating and welded in new side shell plating (not worrying about bottom or deck plating), thus making her narrower.....
    It also didn't help that she had a full width aft peak tank for happy sloshing of free surface effect water.
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Jeez,

I thought my ' to do list ' was a bit long with some wiring jobs and a bit of deck paint - surely towing the thing inverted was never going to have a happy ending
    Last edited by Seajet; 25-08-19 at 04:30.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

After she was righted the second time she was put back into service for a couple of years, and my pal was very careful regarding how she was loaded (and he also kept a keen eye on the tank spaces in the hull re water that could slosh about).
    However the hull interior was not painted, and everything was cheerfully rusting, and it got to the stage where it was not economic to start welding in new shell plating and framing, so she was scrapped.
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

I wonder if it is the same one upside down here in Tyrell Bay in 2014!!
    6676 (2).jpg

2137 (2).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My most favouritely named bar in Bequia. Yes, I know........

https://foursquare.com/v/whaleboners...b095242fee7dea

Auditdata, thank you for the photos - yes, that is definitely SP 2 (later renamed SK 2).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234