JFowler is offline Registered User

Default Help - Raymarine C70 Plotter Screen Problem

When powered up the screen on our C70 shows vertical coloured lines- see attached photo.
    It's been suggested that a 'Factory Screen Re-set' might cure the problem, but we're not sure how to do this, otherwise it's a new screen, which since we're in N Portugal probably means a new Plotter.
    Any advice re the cause and cure appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

Some time ago someone reported the following:

"Problem seems to be a badly engineered/executed connection between screen and matherboard, so improper values of electricity ewander around.
    To solve this I sometimes have to "slide" the screen upwards or downwards untill the problem disappears."

I hope you manage to get it sorted out without too great an expense.

Quote Originally Posted by JFowler View Post
    When powered up the screen on our C70 shows vertical coloured lines- see attached photo.
    It's been suggested that a 'Factory Screen Re-set' might cure the problem, but we're not sure how to do this, otherwise it's a new screen, which since we're in N Portugal probably means a new Plotter.
    Any advice re the cause and cure appreciated.

Thanks,
    John
    Raymarine changed screen on my C80 for about 85 a year or two ago...

have you tried a f/w update ?
    worked for my C120

aluijten is online now Registered User

I manged to solve a very similar problem by removing the supply cable, then press and hold the the power button and re-attaching the powercable. It may work for you as well, if not, there is a chance the LCD controller died. In that case I would not spend money on it anymore but buy a model with a bigger screen.

gianenrico is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by John_Clarke View Post
    Some time ago someone reported the following:

"Problem seems to be a badly engineered/executed connection between screen and matherboard, so improper values of electricity ewander around.
    To solve this I sometimes have to "slide" the screen upwards or downwards untill the problem disappears."

I hope you manage to get it sorted out without too great an expense.
    I think to be the one who posted the quoted suggestion.

I confirm that, two Raymarine Service Center visits notwithstanding, the problem and the provisional solution are stil the same: I have, sometimes and without any systematic reason, to "slide" the LCD panel up and down untill the problem is solved...untill next time.

A few months ago I had this occurring about 50% of the time. It then went away and has worked fine ever since. A dodgy connection somewhere I fancy, and I imagine it will come back to haunt me some day.

JFowler is offline Registered User

Default Solution - huge thanks to captainslarty

Thanks for all the suggestions, but i think i have the definitive solution, for which many thanks are due to Joe Hanley - i think 'Captainslarty' of this forum
    We were in Povoa de Varzim - N Portugal, ready to leave when i discovered the problem. A quick enquiry around the pontoon, discovered that Joe is something of an electronics guru.
    He came along and carried out a factory screen reset, which is simply holding down the LH Soft Key (that's the key next to the power key) while powering the Plotter. This brings up the factory re-set screen and from then on it's a question of re-entering your prefered settings. As simple as that.
    We were on our way later that day!

Huge thanks to Joe!

John

Graeme9 is offline New User

We have had the same problem with our C70 for the past 6 months. The local agents for Raymarine replaced the plug to the radar and power at a cost of 300. The same problem reappeared last time out. I discovered that by applying pressure to the screen it cured the problem (temporarily). I have tried contacting Raymerine but have had no response. I am currently looking at plotters from other manufacturers.