Default Volvo KAMD300 - gearbox oil filter lid - ???

Last week I changed the oil and filters on both gearboxes. The filters on ours are located under a round lid (on the starboard side) with a socket cap screw in the middle. The lid also has a lever sort of thing and markings on the directions to tighten or loosen it.

As I was tightening the screw to seal the lid, the lid popped off it's place. Apparently tightening the screw compresses the lid on it's place (as there is nothing on the gear box side to screw it into), but is there more to doing the lid than just tighten the screw? I was also a little unclear about purpose of the lever-thingy on the lid.

I'm seeing the lid popping off, oil everywhere and a ruined gear box...

You are correct if loose it will dump the oil out of the box. The marks don't mean anything really, just fit the new O ring and assemble it with the screw fairly loose, you push down hard while tightening as it pulls the back plate up and squeezes the O ring outwards thus sealing the cover. Its important that there is only a smear of oil so it can't slide out under tightening, the leg is just to stop the whole cover rotating, I have changed around a 100 of these and never had a problem but have seen several that were fitted incorrectly with subsequent loss of oil.

There is a knack to it , I am interested spannerman if I may burden you with an extra query.....

I assume its a Hurth Zf Hydraulic gearbox , if the lid does pop off and oil escapes do you just loose drive, top it up and off you go again ?
    Would the loss of 90% of the oil harm the gearbox as it wouldnt produce any power without oil would it ?

Quote Originally Posted by spannerman View Post
    You are correct if loose it will dump the oil out of the box. The marks don't mean anything really, just fit the new O ring and assemble it with the screw fairly loose, you push down hard while tightening as it pulls the back plate up and squeezes the O ring outwards thus sealing the cover. Its important that there is only a smear of oil so it can't slide out under tightening, the leg is just to stop the whole cover rotating, I have changed around a 100 of these and never had a problem but have seen several that were fitted incorrectly with subsequent loss of oil.
    Ok, thanks for this. Is it safe to assume that if you can't open the lid by pulling the leg by hand (with reasonable effort), it's tight enough?

Quote Originally Posted by scubaman View Post
    Ok, thanks for this. Is it safe to assume that if you can't open the lid by pulling the leg by hand (with reasonable effort), it's tight enough?
    Thats correct.

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    There is a knack to it , I am interested spannerman if I may burden you with an extra query.....

I assume its a Hurth Zf Hydraulic gearbox , if the lid does pop off and oil escapes do you just loose drive, top it up and off you go again ?
    Would the loss of 90% of the oil harm the gearbox as it wouldnt produce any power without oil would it ?
    In the all the incidents I have seen where there has been a loss of oil the boat has come to a halt without damaging the clutches as the lack of oil pressure causes them to slip and there is no drive, Its been a case of fix the leak, fill up and away you go.
    If you kept running the engine there is a danger of running the bearings dry in the upper shaft in the box as these aren't getting splashed any longer, but if the oil is still clear and red then its not cooked the clutches, if its brown and smells burnt then its a new clutch pack.