Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Skanti Leisure VHF 1000P DSC radio

I have this radio http://www.nonstopyacht.com/static/b...ew/SKT&2D1.htm
    in my boat. The VHF reception and transmission are superb but there is an aspect of its DSC that I don't think is very good. As far as I can find there is no way of telling if it is getting a GPS input. It doesn't display a position on its screen like my old cheapo MTech one, or have any sort of indicator.

I can't even check if it's physically connected up as the (rather incomprehensible) operator's manual (at http://www.findpdfnow.com/view.php?b...isure-DK-1000P ) doesn't include a connection diagram. I've googled extensively and been unable to find an installation manual. I found a component level service manual with schematics but no physical connection diagram in it! I can't trace the cables through as they go into trunking between the base unit, the handset and the chartplotter.

If anyone reading is familiar with this radio, and knows how to tell if it's getting a GPS signal or has an installation manual/connection diagram, I'd really appreciate some information!
    Previously known as Troubadour

ostell is offline Registered User

Does one of the setup settings change what is displayed on the screen, ie is position display selectable?

Get someone else with a DSC radio to request your position from you and see what comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by ostell View Post
    Does one of the setup settings change what is displayed on the screen, ie is position display selectable?

Get someone else with a DSC radio to request your position from you and see what comes back.
    No to the first question.
    Second point sounds a good idea - i must read up on how to do that

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    IIf anyone reading is familiar with this radio, and knows how to tell if it's getting a GPS signal or has an installation manual/connection diagram, I'd really appreciate some information!
    Skanti is very good equipment though some of their earlier DSC radios DID NOT have the obligatory cover over the DSC button.

A man from MArconi tells me that if you go to the DSC menu on the handset display then you can select a display of position. Marconi supplied Skanti to many ships and rigs.

If this doesn t work we shall have to try harder.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    Skanti is very good equipment though some of their earlier DSC radios DID NOT have the obligatory cover over the DSC button.

A man from MArconi tells me that if you go to the DSC menu on the handset display then you can select a display of position. Marconi supplied Skanti to many ships and rigs.

If this doesn t work we shall have to try harder.
    Thanks but I can't find that in the manual. http://www.findpdfnow.com/view.php?b...isure-DK-1000P
    On P23 the flow chart indicates that if you set up to transmit a DSC distress call, it will tell you if there is a valid GPS input (I can't tell if it confirms the values) and lets you manually input a position if not, but that's all.

I wonder if your Marconi man is thinking of the integrated unit rather than the remote handset one as it has a larger display built in?

Gypsy is offline Registered User

I have a Skanti 1000P with DSC circa 2002. On mine if I press the 'Tel/DSC' button, which is the left most button under the screen, it selects DSC mode. If the GPS-NMEA signal is connected a bottom of screen line 'crawl' displays basic status information such as 'Watch Ch70', 'UTC time', 'Lat' and 'Long". When I turn off the DSC source I get an alarm. If I start the radio without GPS connected it does not complain but when DSC is selected the status information is replaced with 'xxxx's'.

I agree the manual does not help much at all. It doesn't mention the display I have described, only describes making a DSC call or alarm and reading an incoming DSC message.
    Ray

Thank you. Mine is also 2002. Will try that at the weekend.

Thank you. Mine is also 2002. Will try that at the weekend.
    Page 32 of pdf file

Manual page number 28 (cutting)

Dsc Settings Self-id MMSI-NU> XXXXXXXXX GrpMMSI XXXXXXXXX
    | | |
    | | Position Posview X:XX’XX X:XXX’XX Utc time Utc XX:XX
    | | | Pos auto X:XX’XX X:XXX’XX
    | | | Pos mode Show X
    | | | Posupdate X:XX’XX X:XXX’XX AT Utc HXX MXX

Thank you Fergie

I have pored over that table and found it totally incomprehensible. Will try harder. Hope not to send any false alarms

Thank you Fergie

I have pored over that table and found it totally incomprehensible. Will try harder. Hope not to send any false alarms
    have to admit its not very clear !