Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mykonos marina warning

There is currently a major problem in this marina.

60% of the lazy lines are missing, and boats are having to anchor stern too the west quay. Mykonos has the reputation of being the windiest place in Greece so pay attention!!!!

The harbour has several VERY heavy ground chains running the length of the harbour. In the last 3 days no fewer than 5 boats have had to have a diver to retrieve their anchors. It is too deep for you to recover yourself as it is up to 10 meters deep in places. The cost of the diver is €100.

This morning we had a meeting with the Mayor of Mykonos and the Port Manager, which was very productive where we presented a petition signed by all the yachts in the marina.

They have commissioned a diver to quote on restoring the 36 lazy lines, which are mostly on the bottom following cutting by propellers. These were all new at the start of last year!

Following the quote, the Mayor will, (if the money is available,) authorise the reinstatement of the lines, which is not a difficult job. He hopes that it will be finished by the weekend.

They have asked all Yachts NOT TO USE AN ANCHOR IN THE PORT.

Other notes following successful docking:

Water and electric is available on the West quay in 3 places ONLY: one at either end of the yacht mooring area and one in the middle of the mooring area. It is NOT available anywhere else - all the others are switched off. You have to buy a key fob at the Kiosk at the cost of €30. The number of ports are limited to 4 x 3 = 12 water and electric points. Because of the bulk purchase - enough water and electric for a couple of weeks the points are hogged by permanent boats, however if you are lucky you will get one.
    We have been allowing others to use our pipe to fill up at €3 a tank full (breaking even on cost) so try asking someone connected if you can buy water from them.

Note: The reason the others are switched off is that they were unmetered and people were using unlimited amounts to wash boats. Mykonos has a severe water shortage and most is from a desalination plant. Be reasonable in your consumption.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    The cost of the diver is €100.

the 36 lazy lines, which are mostly on the bottom following cutting by propellers.
    Or cut by the diver??? Sounds like a good investment in his time.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Or cut by the diver??? Sounds like a good investment in his time.
    I was amazed at how easily I got to see the Mayor! Lets hope they do something. When the diver was here, we asked him to check our anchors - he wanted €100 per boat to check Foxtrot Oscar I think! - I now have the port managers mobile to call him if I have ANY problem!

[QUOTE=Chris_Robb;2973184

It is too deep for you to recover yourself as it is up to 10 meters deep in places. The cost of the diver is €100.

__________________________________________________ __

€100, not a bad price, the divers in Aigina which have sole rights to dive usually charge between €200 to €300 to recover your anchor.

If you try a DIY dive they (divers) go screaming to the Port Police and they haul you in and threaten you with akin to the death penalty........I've got the tee shirt for that one.

Good luck with you efforts with the Mayor and I hope it all comes to a happy end. I do hope you get gratification for your efforts.

__________________________________________________ ___

Please remember however charming and kind you find the majority of Greek people, there are still a lot of them, that don`t think we are tourists but. PREY
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    It is too deep for you to recover yourself as it is up to 10 meters deep in places.[/I]
    Ten Meters is not deep for a free snorkel dive if you are properly weighted. The old basic open water test for BSAC snorkeling used to be seven meters and that was usually done in a freezing cold quarry!

At Swansea when we used to have the tank we could comfortably get novices doing an eight meter dive (that involved swimming through a grate) and have thirty second bottom time, plenty to clip a recovery line on to either the anchor or the offending chain.

Practice!

Quote Originally Posted by SeamanStaines View Post
    Ten Meters is not deep for a free snorkel dive if you are properly weighted. The old basic open water test for BSAC snorkeling used to be seven meters and that was usually done in a freezing cold quarry!

At Swansea when we used to have the tank we could comfortably get novices doing an eight meter dive (that involved swimming through a grate) and have thirty second bottom time, plenty to clip a recovery line on to either the anchor or the offending chain.

Practice!
    Ya ya ya ---- I used to spear fish at 60 ft - but I was 22 then - now just a tad older. At the end of the yachting season I am sure I could get down, but not when its been tooo cold to swim here! 15C I only go in at 18C

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in Suez on a tug!

La Caletta (Sardinia) May 2009.

Picked up a lazy line while moving berth (the line was too short so it was just below the surface!), in rainy windy sort of way.

Donned snorkel, etc, and jumped in - 2 nano seconds later the local diver comes screaming up screaming and shouting about me doing my own line recovery/prop clearence. He is the only person licenced and allowed by the Port Captain to dive in the harbour. I verified this as he was going to €250.00 to clear the prop.

I got him down to €100.00 after a short discussion in pidgeon itallian concerning his parentage and his Mafiosa connections. I had to pay, as I had no other choice, and we were opposite the Port Captains window who now alerted to our plight. So maybe €100, in Mykonos ain't too bad.

I tried to claim it back from the marina but as you can imagine it wasn't thier fault it was too short - it was the yachts who kept cutting it and making it shorter.
    Drinking rum and playing music with my friends.

Today I had a progress report from the Manager - and the Mayor of Mykonos. They are making a major effort to reverse the criticism on the various forae.

This is the update - with good info on which places for yachts to go to, and also what they are doing to change the supply in water etc. with all the phone numbers you will ever need.

Dear Christopher,

We had an offer from the authorized diver (by Coast Guard), that will be discussed in the next board of Municipal Port Authority.
    However, Nikos Rossolatos (security guy as mentioned on Forums) dived with sacrifice to repair 35 lazy lines, since 10th of June.
    Hence we have 40 lazy lines on inner west quay.
    In addition, Nikos managed to repair 34 on eastern quay, 24 for sailing boats and 10 for small yachts.

Reading your comments on forums, I would like to mention that wind gusts on west quay are strong, hence we suggest to sailing boats to use lazy lines on eastern quay close to OLIA hotel. In the near future we will manage to get water and electricity there, for sailing boats.

Pilots do not forget to contact Coast Guards before the entrance of our port.
    Coast Guard tel. +30-22890-22218, fax. +30-22890-27825 VHF Ch 12 or 16

In addition, I suggest to all of you to follow the directions of Coast Guard & the security guy (NIKOS) for your own safety, because Coast Guard & Nikos knows exactly which lazy line is the best according to boats' length and which position is better for each type of boat, in addition they know the depth of each position.

Sailing boats avoid to use the west quay because the lazy line lengths are more or less for 20-25m yachts, according to our Master Plan that you have already studied in my office, hence lines are short for sailing boats.

In addition, authorized diver according to Coast Guard is Mr. Sgourakis Konstantinos (Kostas) and you can call on Tel. +30-22890-26539 or Mob. +30-6946383115, probably the negative comments about the diver in Mykonos happened because nobody called the authorized diver.
    In the near future will have more divers contacts from the Coast Guards.
    However, avoid to use anchors close to lazy lines, Nikos Rossolatos will give a guide to pilots where they can use their anchors in order to avoid troubles and extra costs.

Municipal Port Authority is not exclusive supplier of water & electricity in Mykonos ports, you can call anyone and you have the opportunity to fix the price per m3, in advance.
    In the interval, I will give you all the water supplier of the island, in order sailors-pilots to have the opportunity to choose.

Water suppliers in Mykonos Island (Not all of them carry water to the port, but you do not lose anything to call them):
    Nikos (Agrari) Mob. +30-6977-016353 as far as I know, Nikos visits Tourlos port every day at 09:00 and 19:00 in order to supply water
    Papoutsas Kiriakos Mob. +30-6932462065
    Kousathanas Giannis Mob. +30-6944532124
    Nazos Nektarios Mob. +30-6945352772
    Kontizas Mob. +30-6976212839
    Assimomitis Spiros Tel. +30-22890-22168
    Santorinaios Nikos Mob. +30-6944-391162
    Santorinaios George Mob. +30-6932649127

According to the pillars' token, Board of Mun. Port Authority will discuss the option to produce key on price of 10Euros or 15Euros

Keep in touch, try to publish info on UK Cruising Association website, because I cannot register and we'll do our best to inform pilots in other forums.
    In addition, updated info will be set up on our website and we are trying to digitized our maps in order to post them on Internet, probably will help pilots (www.mykonosports.gr - info@mykonosports.gr)

Keep in touch and thank you for your help.
    I hope next time comments about Mykonos' ports to be better.

Regards

Nikolaos Hris. M. Vardalahos
    Electrical Engineer
    MBA, MEng, MSc(Eng)
    Municipal Port Authority of Mykonos
    Tel. +30 22890 28935
    Fax. +30 22890 28934

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

What an excellent response! It appears that he is doing his best to resolve an unhappy situation and to explain some of the negative reports that have been generated. If only a few more were so accommodating.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast