Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Beware of E Bay

Default Re: So . . .

ccscott49

Dont look at the EU standard as "better" or "bigger" theyre just different in certain parts. While many features are common, the differences wont allow one configuration of radio to satisfy both.

As I said in an earlier reply, the 402 sold by ICOM in the States is probably already EU capable. eg. a configuration setting in the software that's fixed at time of manufacture. The 402 wont be sold here for ages cos of a bad marketing strategy to sell the 401 with its add on DSC100 box.

PS I looked at West's site and they sell the 402 with a basic mic for $169.99 less a $15 rebate !!!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan is offline Registered User

Default Re: Hear hear

a lot of common sense in there Nigel; and above from Mainlysteam.
    as I understand it a significant issue here is distribution - both the costs and the demand from distributors to protect their position.Volvo, Barrus (Yanmar/Mercury) and Silva (Lowrance/Eagle) all uise price and terms as demanded by retail firms in the overall chain. The scale of the US market is such that volumes can support the existence of this layer without the margins required to support the UK infrastructure.

I would add my thanks for your contributions Jon, unfortunately it is easy to be drawn into 'other' areas in a thread and hung out for either what you do, or do not say....ie you can't win!
    have a good show

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sorry, you misunderstood me, or I didn't explain myself, properly, which is more likel;y. I don't consider the EU spec to be better or higher, just different, but why do we have to be different? is it bcause we think we are better than the rest of the world? The number of DSC sets in europe will be quite high, if we are forced to take up GMDSS as pleasure boaters, which may yet come! Legislation has a habit of creeping up on you! Check this government out. I thought GMDSS was a "global" standard, why do we have different standards, what is all this bull****! One day we may be able to agree, not yet though.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

I quite agree its b' annoying these differences exist. Unfortunately its inevitable for a multitude of reasons that you, me and this forum wont be able to solve and will have to live with.
    Personally (speaks in quiet whisper- as a radio ham) I think ICOM kit is the hounds gonads but I wont pay over the odds for their kit on me boat when there are other equally capable but maybe not such good quality radios around.
    Its just sad that some marketing t****r decided we wont see the 402 at a reasonable price in EU.
    Im not rushing to buy a DSC radio just yet to let the bugs in the first offerings get fixed. Ill also be looking for postings beginning "My ABC radio makes a funny noise when ....", "Has any one elses knob come off their XYZ VHF??" etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

I agree, icom gear is the dogs bits, but why so bloody expensive, I have to confess to owning two of theirs..........ssssssshhhhhhh............. it was a moment of weakness and flushness which did it, also cheaper in Gib.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Default exactly

so in the meantime some one can feed us a line of bull and we have to accept it?
    stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default aha, fresh and refreshed

ready for another round after a hard day at the office.
    now then where were we. oh yes, why should we do as you say
    "wouldn't it be easier if you just learnt how to use Google or another search engine and verify the facts for yourself"
    when some one makes a sweeping statement and expects us to take it as fact, simple question asked of the poster (not you brendan) he never did post the definitive to back up his words. and i note he has gone awful quiet.
    what was that bit about drinking referring to?

stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: Beware of E Bay

Hi Jon

I feel very sorry for some of the people on here trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill .
    Please Jon continue to post and not be put of by the" holier than thou " Brigade

Dave.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: Beware of E Bay

You get what you pay for.The price you pay for something is as good a guide to its quality as you are likely to get.We have a work shop pile full of old marine radio stuff we strip for spare parts,most is unrepairable stuff designed for markets other than the UK.Stuff that people have bought because UK gear was
    'to expensive".When that stuff goes wrong you have to bin it.
    This is not confined just to the Marine market.We in the UK always think we are being ripped off,but 20 years experience in the radio game has taught one thing,someone is always prepared to cut corners and sell cheap by reducing quality/durability.
    We deal with most well known radio communication firms and can only comment that the spares backup and service of Icom is second to none.

<hr width=100% size=1>Two boats please one here n one in the Med

Colin - I agree. While the EU situation does not affect me I have wondered why the EU went out alone too.

Regarding others comments about the Icom 402 I think if one went into it one would find that it is a little more complicated than just a rearrangement of the firmware cloning and also involves hardware changes. As said before I have no desire to look through the European requirements but there are a whole fleet of radios similar to the 402 in the rest of the world (the Standard Horizon ones are one example only) and to the best of my knowledge, none, or if any very few, have rejigged their sets for the European market.

Perhaps instead of beating Jon up, people should be congratulating Icom for giving it a go. As far as I can see, no other (or not many) of the non European manufacturers are.

On several occasions I have worked with clients wishing to sell their (non radio) products into the EU. On all of those occasions the decision was, after investigation, that the world was a big enough market without the EU and it was not worth the trouble to meet the EU requirements. Don't kick me, I am not critising, just giving it as it happens.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>
    <span style="color:blue">www.sailroom.co.uk</span>

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast