Default Stone Point Walton on Naze

We visited Stone Point for 1st time in two years and was surprised how much it has changed in that time.
    It seems to have extended much further north and you can now see straight up Hamford from the point. The bit by Stone Creek which used to be sand is now almost completely mud. Has anyone else noticed this effect? It seems to have accelerated a lot since they built the dam across the seaward side of the creeks.

Is there still enough sand there to bury a chest?
    Vince
    Dutch chapter of the East Coast Forum _/)_*_

Quote Originally Posted by Wunja View Post
    Is there still enough sand there to bury a chest?
    it must be a Dead Mans Chest
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by DanTribe View Post
    We visited Stone Point for 1st time in two years and was surprised how much it has changed in that time.
    It seems to have extended much further north and you can now see straight up Hamford from the point. The bit by Stone Creek which used to be sand is now almost completely mud. Has anyone else noticed this effect? It seems to have accelerated a lot since they built the dam across the seaward side of the creeks.
    Can't say that I had noticed particularly. I've been there the last couple of weekends. It's always been muddy by Stone Creek (as we've always had to land further north) but, now you mention it, perhaps we did have to go a little closer to Hamford than before to land comfortably last week.
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

The bank is definitely extending seawards.... still plenty of sand though!

In 2009 the bank was a lot steeper than in previous years, and 2010, it seemed to shallow again, but extend out a little further...

Its my personal theory that left unattended, the channel would eventually break out much further back up the Walton Channel, back at Stone Creek, and the current entrance close up... if you look, the bank is under pressure further to the south by where Stone Creek is... i'm told that Stone Creek has in the long and distant past been a navigable channel at High Water.

I'm sure that WFYC would intervene before this happened, but how I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    .. i'm told that Stone Creek has in the long and distant past been a navigable channel at High Water.
    I think you are right.

I am fairly sure that Charles Stock of Shoal Waters fame used to use it often.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    I think you are right.

I am fairly sure that Charles Stock of Shoal Waters fame used to use it often.

It depends what you mean by "navigable". In the 1980s my son & me used to sail / row the dinghy through there to collect firewood for a bonfire. The driftwood was much better on the seaward side. We had to get out and push a bit at the very head of the creek, but you could get through.