Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    ProDave is offline Registered User

As a novice, can I ask the point of having the kicker and topping lift led aft? To my novice mind, these are "adjust and forget" items.

My Kicker is set when sailing, and once set I never adjust it. Okay the racers might want to fine tune the rig, but I find I never alter it.

Then the topping lift. The sole purpose of that (unless I am miss understanding it) is just to hold up the boom when the sail is down.

So my topping lift goes slack when I hoist the main. When I let the main down again, the topping lift goes tight and supports the boom.

So either I am completely missing something important, or these are about the two least useful things to lead back to the cockpit.

Please enlighten me.

In my case, at the moment it's only the foresail furling, and main halyard that I have led to the cockpit so I can raise and lower the main, and furl and unfurl the jib from the cockpit.
    Anybody else sail a Frolic 18? or know someone who does? if so please PM me.

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    My Kicker is set when sailing, and once set I never adjust it. Okay the racers might want to fine tune the rig, but I find I never alter it.
    That's about right, except for "racers" read "racers and tweaky cruisers who want to get the best out of their rig at all times". But plenty of us don't, and frankly I probably wouldn't know how (unless the boom is blatantly flying into the sky downwind).

Then the topping lift. The sole purpose of that (unless I am miss understanding it) is just to hold up the boom when the sail is down.
    That's right. But on some boats the geometry of the rig is such that, with enough slack to let the sail set properly, the boom would hang inconveniently low with the sail stowed. So you have to tighten it before dropping the sail, and slack it after hoisting, hence it makes sense to be in the same place as the halyard.

Pete

G12 is offline Registered User

As a novice, can I ask the point of having the kicker and topping lift led aft? To my novice mind, these are "adjust and forget" items.

So my topping lift goes slack when I hoist the main. When I let the main down again, the topping lift goes tight and supports the boom.

So either I am completely missing something important, or these are about the two least useful things to lead back to the cockpit.

Please enlighten me.

In my case, at the moment it's only the foresail furling, and main halyard that I have led to the cockpit so I can raise and lower the main, and furl and unfurl the jib from the cockpit.
    Well, the first thing to do when going to put a slab in the main is Kicker off, topping lift on, so that gets done before I go forward to put the slab in. I do adjust my kicker... not as much as when racing but it does get adjusted. Same with the outhaul..... outhaul on upwind and eased offwind....It's easy, it works and it's free. Cruisers tend not to bother but 0.2 or even 0.5 a knot adds up considerably over 24 hours.
    As has been previously mentioned, you are just lucky not to have to adjust your topping lift. I've sailed another boat like this but in my experience, most aren't. Also if you wind on a load of kicker it might want easing.
    The prudent see danger and seek refuge.