Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    xeitosaphil is offline Registered User

Default Standard Horizon 300i advise?

Hi I am trying to provide socket for a SH 300i Plotter in cockpit as well as at the chart table, and also interface the SH 1500 DSC VHF at the same time. I thought it would be a good idea to use a 8 pin Bulgin Micro waterproof plug and socket termination at the plotter cable end, and the corresponding sockets at the two locations. I can form a junction in a small plastic enclosure box, with choc block connectors, within the fuse board which will allow me to join into the NMEA side and also form a supply termination as well , I could then use the whole connections later if I decided on the need for A.I.S etc.
    There is ST60 Wind, and Tri Data in the cockpit, and a Multi at the chart table, along with a Garmin 128 supplying the GPS input , the whole lot linked by Sea Talk I assume, but I not sure how, or even if, I could tap into them, so decided to try and do it separately.

I wondered what spec cable I need. I did think I might use 8 core alarm cable with tinned cores, with a rating of 1 amp per core?

Would that be sufficient amp rating to carry the power supply side as I am not sure just how much the plotter needs?

Does that all sound feasible?

Would the alarm cable transfer data ok? Or does it have to be a special data specification cable, and if so what is the spec needed please?

Final question, while on the subject of the SH300i I have a warning sign in the Chart Display at the top right-hand side, of a red bordered yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark in it. Does anybody know what this is to imply? I have read the original and updated manual from cover to cover and found no reference to it anywhere?

Could it be something to do with the boat being on the berth and stationary?

Sorry this post is so long, and as usual will be most grateful for any advice

I don't know the unit in question and a quick google failed to find a manual.

The alarm cable should be okay for NMEA, but you might find that other electronics interfere with it.
    You can use it and then if you get any strange problems, be prepared to swop it out for either an overall screened/earthed cable or better still twisted pairs with an overall screen.

I would use something a bit larger for power to make sure there is no volts drop. What is the unit fused at and what is the maximum cable run from battery to unit ??

Bulgin do a low profile flange mounting socket with 7 or 9 pins and these are quite good (IP68) when used with the appropriate cover and corresponding plug.

JimC is offline Registered User

I have a similar arrangement on my boat with sockets for the 300i at the chart table and on the cockpit bulkhead. I used Bulgin 6 pin waterproof sockets and twin screened cable from Maplin for the NMEA in and out (in is from the NASA AIS engine and out is to the SIMRAD tillerpilot). Ideally you want to use screened cable for the NMEA but at the low impedances involved you might get away with unscreened alarm cable. Personally I would use screened. I earth the screen at one end only and use the two cores for NMEA live and ground. Some people connect both ends of the screen and use it as the NMEA ground connection - this saves a wire. The power connections don't need to be screened, the plotter draws less than an amp. I haven't seen the on-screen triangle you refer to, if you can't find it in the manual try emailing Standard Horizon: http://www.standardhorizon.co.uk/contact_us.php I've found them helpful in the past.
    Last edited by JimC; 25-06-11 at 14:07. Reason: added note

Wink SH300i wiring advise?

Hi Barry thanks for the info, found a link to a user manual if your interested.

Link http://www.standardhorizon.co.uk/pro...ducts_id=99998

I looked up the cable on the web, from the codes printed on the sheath, and found this specifaction for the cable which is supplied to Standard Horizon fitted to the plotter.

SPECIFICATION: 8C*24AWG +PAPER /UL2464
    AWG 24AWG
    CONDUCTOR MATERIAL TINNED COPPER
    COND.SIZE 7/0.20±0.008 ㎜
    MIN.AVG.THICK 0.23 ㎜
    INSULATION MATERIAL SR-PVC LOW TOXIC

Have looked at the supplied cable ends, and there is no screening on it, just 6 core flex and two larger cores to supply the power voltage ( single 6.5mm cable with 8 cores in total ).
    It came complete with a 1 amp inline fuse, and the Plotter is only 12” away from the fuseboard, which is only about 10 feet away from the batteries.
    I did connect it up, to try it all out, with a temporary connection into an auxiliary cigarette lighter socket in the fuse panel; this may be the reason for the Warning Triangle? As you said it may be interference?

I have actually now purchased all Bulgin Micro parts (IP68) which comprise of a 8 pin plug , an 2 X IP68 PCB chassis connectors complete with waterproof covers which should do the trick. All I have to do now is find 3mtrs of suitable cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Jones View Post
    I don't know the unit in question and a quick google failed to find a manual.

The alarm cable should be okay for NMEA, but you might find that other electronics interfere with it.
    You can use it and then if you get any strange problems, be prepared to swop it out for either an overall screened/earthed cable or better still twisted pairs with an overall screen.

I would use something a bit larger for power to make sure there is no volts drop. What is the unit fused at and what is the maximum cable run from battery to unit ??

Bulgin do a low profile flange mounting socket with 7 or 9 pins and these are quite good (IP68) when used with the appropriate cover and corresponding plug.

Default SH300i Wire Advise

Sounds like you have exactly what I am after, thanks also for the info.
    I already have the Bulgin connectors, now basically all I need is some 8 core, 24AWG, tinned, shielded , 1 amp rated cable.
    Just had a thought, if I use the off cut of the supplied cable, to fix to the 8pin PCB socket at the cockpit bulkhead, I could form a joint with other suitable cables before going to the fuse board.
    I did try the link you suggested in the week but have not been successful in getting a reply.
    Will try them again on your recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I have a similar arrangement on my boat with sockets for the 300i at the chart table and on the cockpit bulkhead. I used Bulgin 6 pin waterproof sockets and twin screened cable from Maplin for the NMEA in and out (in is from the NASA AIS engine and out is to the SIMRAD tillerpilot). Ideally you want to use screened cable for the NMEA but at the low impedances involved you might get away with unscreened alarm cable. Personally I would use screened. I earth the screen at one end only and use the two cores for NMEA live and ground. Some people connect both ends of the screen and use it as the NMEA ground connection - this saves a wire. The power connections don't need to be screened, the plotter draws less than an amp. I haven't seen the on-screen triangle you refer to, if you can't find it in the manual try emailing Standard Horizon: http://www.standardhorizon.co.uk/contact_us.php I've found them helpful in the past.

maxi77 is online now Registered User

I have my SH plotter with 2 mounting positions using 6 way plugs because I only need 6 ways. I used tinned alarm cable with a 1 amp rating, though in one position there is a 12v supply so I use that rather than the alarm cable. The data connections are simply paralleled in a chockblock and sent to the 2 positions, all works fine with no problems
    Peter

The manual suggests a 2A fuse and 750mA current drain.
    I would have chosen a slightly larger power cable and probably would have gone for a separate power cable and data signal cable, but then I always like to overspec and err on the side of caution.

No idea what the triangle is - had a look through the manual but couldn't see anything obvious - I doubt that it has to do with data corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by xeitosaphil View Post
    Hi Barry thanks for the info, found a link to a user manual if your interested.

Link http://www.standardhorizon.co.uk/pro...ducts_id=99998

I looked up the cable on the web, from the codes printed on the sheath, and found this specifaction for the cable which is supplied to Standard Horizon fitted to the plotter.

SPECIFICATION: 8C*24AWG +PAPER /UL2464
    AWG 24AWG
    CONDUCTOR MATERIAL TINNED COPPER
    COND.SIZE 7/0.20±0.008 ㎜
    MIN.AVG.THICK 0.23 ㎜
    INSULATION MATERIAL SR-PVC LOW TOXIC

Have looked at the supplied cable ends, and there is no screening on it, just 6 core flex and two larger cores to supply the power voltage ( single 6.5mm cable with 8 cores in total ).
    It came complete with a 1 amp inline fuse, and the Plotter is only 12” away from the fuseboard, which is only about 10 feet away from the batteries.
    I did connect it up, to try it all out, with a temporary connection into an auxiliary cigarette lighter socket in the fuse panel; this may be the reason for the Warning Triangle? As you said it may be interference?

I have actually now purchased all Bulgin Micro parts (IP68) which comprise of a 8 pin plug , an 2 X IP68 PCB chassis connectors complete with waterproof covers which should do the trick. All I have to do now is find 3mtrs of suitable cable?

Default Standard Horizon 300i Advise update

Hi All,
    Just an update to say I have now successfully completed the fitting of my SH 300i in the cockpit and also at the Chart Table.
    I used Bulgin Micro waterproof connectors, due to their size, and IP rating, supplied by RS Components due to availability. I used the cable supplied, cutting the supplied cable short for the chart table, and the spare, to wire up to the back of the Cockpit Bulkhead and Chart table socket, with just a short length of shielded alarm cable between Bulkhead Junction box and Chart table socket, although the conections were fiddly to solder?
    All works perfectly and the outside socket is small and unobtrusive.
    I contacted Standard Horizon about the warning triangle displayed in the plotter chart page and this is the explanation received from them, if it is of interest to anyone else?

GENERAL INFO PLOTTERS
    Error in manual.
    NMEA output settings HTG should be HDG.
    Warning Yellow triangle
    If you have a warning yellow triangle appear on the top RHS of screen check Safety Status bar or Attention Areas is off.
    To check this follows these keystrokes.
    Safety Status bar
    MENU-
    SETUP MENU-
    ENT-
    MAX FUNCTIONS
    ENT
    SAFETY STATUS BAR
    ENT
    ON/OFF

Attention Areas

MENU-
    SETUP MENU-
    ENT-
    MAP CONFIGURATIONS-
    ENT-
    ATTENTION AREAS
    ENT-

OFF/ON.

While on the subject of the SH300i I am contemplaiting a AIS receiver engine, and wondered what other owners have, or recommend , do their units have Heads up or North up?

As always, thanks for all the advise received, and hopefully future requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Jones View Post
    The manual suggests a 2A fuse and 750mA current drain.
    I would have chosen a slightly larger power cable and probably would have gone for a separate power cable and data signal cable, but then I always like to overspec and err on the side of caution.

No idea what the triangle is - had a look through the manual but couldn't see anything obvious - I doubt that it has to do with data corruption.

Scotty_Tradewind is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat: Portsmouth harbour, Wicormarine

Hi, I'm interested in your posting as I wish to have a position for my 300i in the cockpit as well as on the nav' desk .

I have set my 300i to be North up. To change is very easy to 'heads /course up' by going into menu etc...
    I find the manual is generally very user friendly.

I had a SH CP175 before which was very much quicker especially on the zoom speed than the 300i but with only a 5" screen. I've played around with my settings in the menu and although now quicker its nowhere as fast as the 175.

Is the waterproofing of the 300i plenty good enough for the cockpit in a downpour?
    Last edited by Scotty_Tradewind; 12-09-11 at 15:40.
    You never get to where you want to go if you only travel on sunny days.

Default SH 300i in the Cockpit

Hi Scotty,

The waterproofing according to SH Owner’s Manual is only supposed to be Splash Proof?

I am sure that before I purchase the Plotter, I found a Spec for it that said it was waterproof but not to a submersible standard, and that they were Guaranteed for three years against water ingress through normal use.

As I have mine sited on the Aft Side of the Companionway Bulkhead, outboard of the ST60 Wind and Tri-data, which is under the spray hood, I don't imagine it is likely to be a problem?
    However if it was sited on a Steering Pedestal which is open to the elements 24/7 it might be a cause for concern? I think the problems may arise from the closure of the Cartography C max Card compartment? They do say to make absolutely sure that it is closed and secure, all the rest of it is either sealed or they have soft keys moulded into the case.

I suppose you could always cover it with a clear waterproof cover or even a plastic bag if you were worried about it, I have heard of people doing that with Auto Pilots?

With regards to the Heads up / North up question I posed, I was referring to the AIS display. (Which option was available, on what actual piece of kit people have?) the other question I have just thought of is , can the AIS information received by the SH300 be overlayed on the chart page or is it a completely seperate display, which needs to go on the split screen option?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_Tradewind View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in your posting as I wish to have a position for my 300i in the cockpit as well as on the nav' desk .

I have set my 300i to be North up. To change is very easy to 'heads /course up' by going into menu etc...
    I find the manual is generally very user friendly.

I had a SH CP175 before which was very much quicker especially on the zoom speed than the 300i but with only a 5" screen. I've played around with my settings in the menu and although now quicker its nowhere as fast as the 175.

Is the waterproofing of the 300i plenty good enough for the cockpit in a downpour?