Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Default 40 bl***y to renew ICC

Or 43 to join and get it free - rip off or what ? I already paid to get it why so much to renew - justification please !!!

Angele is offline Registered User

Well there clearly is an admin cost involved, so it is not surprising it is free. The bigger question is why there is an expiry date at all. It is not as if there is an expiry date to your Day Skipper (at least I hope note), so why should the ICC expire?

I blame the EU. Probably got nothing to do with them, but I blame them anyway.

At least, it makes me feel better for being an RYA member. MY ICC expires in a week or so. For me the renewal will be the cost of a stamp!

Dont miss out on paying another 20 quid if you want it in a hurry...

Quote Originally Posted by Angele View Post
    Well there clearly is an admin cost involved, so it is not surprising it is free. The bigger question is why there is an expiry date at all. It is not as if there is an expiry date to your Day Skipper (at least I hope note), so why should the ICC expire?

I blame the EU. Probably got nothing to do with them, but I blame them anyway.

At least, it makes me feel better for being an RYA member. MY ICC expires in a week or so. For me the renewal will be the cost of a stamp!
    wots an icc then
    I may be wrong but not always

Its a jolly useful thing to have if the colour of water you see over the side of your saily boat is not grey or brown.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Its a jolly useful thing to have if the colour of water you see over the side of your saily boat is not grey or brown.
    Not sure that is going to help Sailorman.

It's an International Certificate of Competence. A little bit of paper with your photo that says you know how to steer/command a small boat. Invented because some European nations insist on their people having a licence of some sort, so it is a piece of paper to wave at them so that they leave you alone and go and pick on someone else.

"wots an icc then"

you jest of course

Just checked cost of renewing passport 77 and driving licence 20 - so where does an outfit like RYA get 40 (soon to be 60 ?) from - nice work if you can get it !
    Last edited by ripvan1; 27-06-11 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvan1 View Post
    Just checked cost of renewing passport 77 and driving licence 20 - so where does an outfit like RYA get 40 (soon to be 60 ?) from - nice work if you can get it !
    Well, there are definite economies of scale. If you are the DVLA and are issuing driving licences by the thousand, then it makes sense to invest in systems that automate the process and bring down the unit cost of the process.

If you are the RYA, and probably issue no more than a few dozen a day, then I bet some poor person does it all manually.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvan1 View Post
    Or 43 to join and get it free - rip off or what ? I already paid to get it why so much to renew - justification please !!!
    Renewal is a UN requirement - not an RYA one. It is a bargain at 8 a year (or free if you are a member) Typically less than half the price other states charge where the ICC is separate from compulsory licences.

We are the least regulated nation of boat owners in the world. No compulsory registration, no compulsory testing, no light dues, no national taxes, no compulsory equipment requirements, no formal boat inspection requirements etc etc that our fellows in other countries have to endure..

And you moan about 8 a year for the benefits of satisfying foreign officials that you are competent (and guess you will probably moan about the 5 a year for the SSR). Both of these documents are for your personal benefit - so not unreasonable that you should make a contribution to their cost.

Default low profile in political times

Wise words Tranona ....also best often to keep a low profile...under the p.c. radar.