Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ripvan1 View Post
    "And you moan about 8 a year for the benefits of satisfying foreign officials that you are competent (and guess you will probably moan about the 5 a year for the SSR). Both of these documents are for your personal benefit - so not unreasonable that you should make a contribution to their cost."

Good evening Tranona, my beef is about the renewal fee - I reckon 15 about fair, no problem with initial charge about 34 qhen I first obtained it - with regard to the SSR fee I have no issues with that, so please keep your churlish comments to yourself - thanks.
    On what basis do you think that 15 is an appropriate fee? Just pulling a figure out of the air with nothing to support it is rather meaningless.

If you were a member you would have received a pretty good explanation as to why the fees are what they are in an article in the members magazine. Presumably you are not a member, so you have to pay what the provoder deems an appropriate fee.

If you believe the renewal fee is too high - suggest you address your concerns direct to the RYA with a justification. Nobody on here can do anything about it, so posting it here just sounds like a whinge.

Not churlish - reality.
    Last edited by Tranona; 27-06-11 at 23:33.

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    Categories, I think, would be the exact term:

<10m power
    10m+ power
    <10m sail
    10m+ sail
    coastal
    inland (need CEVNI)
    My last 2007 one has:

Coastal waters
    Inland waters
    Power <10m
    Power <24m
    Sail <24m
    Personal Watercraft

Treat the tick boxes (except CEVNI) as excuses to havago on other (school) boats - that's how I got my Power & PWC ones ;->

I've got friends that were playing licence-bingo with driving licences; after LGV & PCV (formerly HGV & PSV), I think they were trying to, err, track down G+H (road rollers & tracked vehicles) - but they learned things and had fun on the way.
    "when the ship arrives in a wine country, there the master shall procure them wine to drink." Article XVII, Rules Of Oleron

Elessar is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by beerbiker21 View Post
    Wise words Tranona ....also best often to keep a low profile...under the p.c. radar.
    +1. Wise indeed.

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcframe View Post
    I've got friends that were playing licence-bingo with driving licences; after LGV & PCV (formerly HGV & PSV), I think they were trying to, err, track down G+H (road rollers & tracked vehicles)
    For real driving-license bingo you need an FMT600. I only ever had the "allowed to drive a landrover" ticked, but there were many many other boxes below it.

Pete

Your perfectly correct Tranona, I am having a whinge -firstly about the renewal fee, 15 pound being in my opinion reasonable (still allowed an opinion?)

2ndly about you assuming that I would moan about SSR fee (which I don't).

As for bringing it up on a sailing forum - doh, silly me, and I thought people had whinges on here - I apologise profusely to your goodself for having such brazen audacity.

ctva is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ripvan1 View Post
    Good evening Tranona, my beef is about the renewal fee - I reckon 15 about fair, no problem with initial charge about 34 when I first obtained it - with regard to the SSR fee I have no issues with that, so please keep your churlish comments to yourself - thanks.
    15? Funny, but I get it free as I'm a member of the RYA. Why should you get a service at a knock down price without covering the admin / marketing / renewal costs which is provided by a body which DOES cater for all sections of water users???? Yes some are higher profile and some are questionable in my opinion. But over all the RYA provides a valuable background service to all water users when dealing with governments and the EU most of which is not trumpeted. And then there is all the training and involvement of youngsters in our sports.

15..... get real!

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    15? Funny, but I get it free as I'm a member of the RYA. Why should you get a service at a knock down price without covering the admin / marketing / renewal costs which is provided by a body which DOES cater for all sections of water users???? Yes some are higher profile and some are questionable in my opinion. But over all the RYA provides a valuable background service to all water users when dealing with governments and the EU most of which is not trumpeted. And then there is all the training and involvement of youngsters in our sports.

15..... get real!
    Maybe because the RYA is nothing more than a business now that has managed to wangle issuing 'state' licences/CoCs?

Which is the reason that many countries don't look on the Yachtmaster (Commercial) as a viable CoC as an alternative and/or equivalent to their own...

I had an ICC but really no use to me any more so I guess 40 saved.

PW
    Last edited by PilotWolf; 28-06-11 at 07:42.

Blue5 is offline Registered User

When we got boarded in Portugal the ICC was the qualification they were looking for, not interested in RYA qualifications so from my point of view 40 for a 5 year passport is money well spent.

Default Curious

Now im confused, Look at this link

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boa...ges/apply.aspx

And have a look at the table which explains the grades.

Whats better to have? sail? or coastal?

It gives an explanations for coastal (think thats what i have but shall check later)

But nothing for sail? All confused.

Regarding people whinging about money. If you pay the fee of 40 and divide that by 5 years thats 8 a year. Which is peanuts.

Its a pack of fags, a couple of pints (if your lucky) Its nothing really, so stop going on and just pay it!

Angele is offline Registered User

I still don't understand why it has an expiry date. Same with driving licences for that matter, until you get to the age when it becomes mandatory to do a retest.

I could understand the logic of a 5 year period if, at the end of that period, they was some requirement to prove that you still had the necessary skills. But there isn't. You just send off the form, with photo, payment if required and a copy of your (now ancient) dazed kipper practical cert (or equivalent) and you get a new one in the post.

What is the point of that?

If it is anything to do with your photo ceasing to be a likeness of you, then they could at least extend it to ten years like passports.