Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    AngusMcDoon is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Presumably, then, performance trimarans have drip-dry interiors. Or are totally gimballed.
    A hose-out interior. It's to compensate for not having a keel that's guaranteed to fall off each season, like all Bavarias.
    YAPP open source marine electronics hobby projects
    yappelectronics.co.uk/ybw

Twister_Ken is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    A hose-out interior. It's to compensate for not having a keel that's guaranteed to fall off each season, like all Bavarias.
    Mmmm - watch out for aggressive men in lederhosen!
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    Oi !! It doesn't fall off each season ... you have to take out the optional extra "removable keel" feature for that ...

Mind u - at the rate mine is rusting it'll probably only last 6 months anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by SHUG View Post
    ........and let me hasten to assure you that multihulls are a perfectly safe mode of transport.....occasional capsize......bows occassionally break off......sometimes trapped underneath the trampoline.....incapable of self-righting....pitch-poling.......but otherwise perfectly safe and seaworthy and ideal for taking the family for a jaunt round an island.
    Of course you don't drive a car. You have only to watch a grand prix to see how often they slide off the road and crash so cars are inherently unsafe. Or is that another really stupid argument?
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Twister_Ken is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    Of course you don't drive a car. You have only to watch a grand prix to see how often they slide off the road and crash so cars are inherently unsafe. Or is that another really stupid argument?
    No, a perfectly sensible argument. Roughly 3000 people die on Britain's roads every year. None of them (lately) in Grand Prix cars. Over a million deaths annually worldwide, it seems.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    I heard the analogy that racing a mono is like driving an F1 car around silverstone. If you push too hard you'll fall off the track, but the chances are you'll be able to recover it and carry on.
    Wheras racing a multi is like racing at Monaco - push too hard and you're in the barriers, game over.

We were also flying a kite at that point on the RTI, and also broached. However we finished with no damage.

Pretty tough to compare the tri with a kite up with a cruising multi, but I think the images of the cruising cat upside down will have sent shivers down the spine of many who have considered a multi for family cruising.
    You never know, I might be right!

We (Strontium Dog) decided against flying the kite (almost 200 sq m) down the back and was just debating putting it up when we spotted the upturned DF.

Looking at the video, it does seem that the tramps finished it off. IIRC the DF has fairly chunky tramp nets, something that you wouldn't normally choose on a racing tri.
    It's later than you think.

AngusMcDoon is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by pteron View Post
    IIRC the DF has fairly chunky tramp nets, something that you wouldn't normally choose on a racing tri.
    They do. The material is more like what real trampolines are made of rather than the open netting as found on Farrier/Corsairs. This material is carefully designed to have the dual properties of catching the wind efficiently in the event of a capsize, but offering virtually no resistance to upwards moving water when you are walking across it without boots on, resulting in a wet leg.
    YAPP open source marine electronics hobby projects
    yappelectronics.co.uk/ybw

The owner of the Dragonfly has posted on another forum to say:

"We were sailing comfortably under spinnaker and reefed main when the boat broached and rudder grip was lost, all sheets were released immediately and we expected the boat to right itself, however it capsized. There was no structural failure at any time which can be confirmed by many pictures on You Tube etc. and taken by other passing boats. It has been confirmed to us by the divers and salvage team that a lobster pot buoy was firmly jammed on the water stay.
    As it was heading for the rocks a desperate attempt was made to right it which resulted in much of the structural damage to the boat, subsequent salvage proceedings have further compounded the damage."

Re the Scott Bader: "The diver who cut the rig free reported a submerged shipping container partially wedged in the mud nearby with what looked like fresh grazes on it corresponding to marks on the SB's windward hull, which may have slid up it and initiated the capsize"
    It's later than you think.

Seajet is online now Registered User

If that is the case, are any steps being taken to mark this container, which presumably could flip / sink another multi, wipe the keel off a monohull, or indeed sink any boat, as it must be VERY close to the surface ???
    Anderson 22 & Hunter 701 Owners Association www.anderson22class.co.uk