Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lanolin on Prop as antifoul-- end result.

After years of experimenting with various antifoul solutions on my prop I applied a liberal dose of lanolin this season.

yesterday, whilst alongside a very glutinous mud berth at Maldon I examined the prop. Lanolin doesn't work! In fact it appears to have attracted a batch of critters along with all those relatives they didn't know they had. Crusty growth of about 1-2 inches thick.

Ah well, back to square one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: Lanolin on Prop as antifoul-- end result.

Did you "bake"it on?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Just antifoul the props with hard racing, a couple of coats of epoxy primer first, rubbed down, then the hard racing, two/three coats, rubbed down. Does for me in the meddy, with a mid season scrub, but in UK I used to use black lead.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

I have used hard racing or boot top for years and find it works fine. But now using the engine more I find it needs a top up mid season.

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

Did you "bake"it on?

and did you polish it first?

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Default Yes it does

I have now used it for 2 years. results
    2002 - slight growth of fine weed - no barnacles - (by mid august.) Sept to October boat in fresh water - so when slipped prop is totally clean.

2003 - Launched march - Mid september (yesterday)- some fine short weed, but no barnacles.

Did you really polish up the prop first? when you applied the lanolin did you apply it with a blow torch?

Not perfect - but I have tried everything from black lead (no good), boot topping - (came off)

The fine weed that is on the prop seems to have no (or little) effect on performance. Area is Plymouth.

<hr width=100% size=1>

They say if you mix pepper, curry paste and other 'hot' stuff in it - it makes the b----ds think twice !!!!

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
    Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

Default Re: Yes it does

I agree with chrisrobb - I put lanolin on my prop this spring, polished the prop and then 'baked' it on with a blow torch, had a midseason scrub at the end of July - prop was nigh on perfect. I had very slight weed but thats all.
    Bottopping no good; A/f No good, just polished - no good, so from now on its Lanolin for me!! Obtainable from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldwins.co.uk>http://www.baldwins.co.uk</A>
    The tub I bought will last for several seasons. You can also get it from yur local Chandlery as "Prop-Protector", more expensive for half the quantity!!

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
    I'd rather be sailing... :-) [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    dickh
    I'd rather be sailing... :-) [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PaulR is offline Registered User

We bought lanolin from our village chemist,
    can someone please explain how we bake it on-ours is a hard grease that we rubbed onto the polishe propellor-what else were we supposed to do?

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan is offline Registered User

warm with blowtorch until it melts on the props to a nice smooth coating then leave to cool..............

<hr width=100% size=1>