Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Topsides respray advice on final sanding

Hi Guy and Gals,
    Just finished the final spray coat and I am wondering when and how to complete it.
    So far 3 Undercoat, 1 3/4 coat and 2 full coats of Hempel/Blakes Polygloss two pack polyurethane topcoat. The final coat was done this morning and there is a very, very slight orange peel effect. The sprayer suggests that by Monday it will be ready to polish with 1000grit and then what?
    My questions are. 1 Is this the right time to do it. The spec says it will not be completely dry for 5 days. 2. After the 1000 grit do I apply polish or wait until completely hard?
    Advice please
    Clive
    Last edited by auditdata; 02-07-11 at 16:03.

VicS is offline Registered User

Advice please
    See the coating manufacturers instruction/product data sheet. Follow their advice to the letter!

Get a sprayer who can do it without leaving an orange peel effect!

The data sheet says Dry to sand "24 (app) hours at 20C/68F, 54 (app) hours at 10C/50F" but I not sure if this is for between coats or final coat hence I was hoping for some practical advice which I have had here before rather than Smart Alex comments.
    Clive

With the cost of the job why not just consult the manufacturers. They all have a team of technical people who can help . Its always worth a phone call

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by auditdata View Post
    The data sheet says Dry to sand "24 (app) hours at 20C/68F, 54 (app) hours at 10C/50F" but I not sure if this is for between coats or final coat hence I was hoping for some practical advice which I have had here before rather than Smart Alex comments.
    Clive
    It was not intended to be a smart Alec rermark

THE ONLY SOUND ADVICE ANYONE CAN GIVE YOU IS TO FoLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS ADVICE

IF YOU WANT CALRITY CONTACT THEIR TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT

Theydont expect the final coat to require rubbing down

They expect it to be done by a competant operator who can proudce a perfect finish with no orange peel

They will proabbly suggest rubbing back to a sound blemish free surface and another spray caot applied Properly.

But at the end of the day its only a boat. It wont sink due to abit of orange peel effect in the paint.
    Last edited by VicS; 02-07-11 at 18:26.

xtiffer is offline Registered User

Walk away from it and have another look tomorrow.
    All paint needs to flow out (even sprayed) you may find
    that the " very,very slight orange peel" has miraculously gone tomorrow.
    If not then P320 sand and recoat.
    Hassle I know but you seem to want it done right; polish it after a couple of weeks if required.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks exfinnsailor, I will give them a ring on Monday. The reason for the post was it was Saturday and the boys were on it Monday morning so wanted to see if it was OK before they started.
    Thanks xtiffer, to be fair that's what the sprayer said. I think he used the words "Tighten up"
    Sorry if I was a bit short VicS but telling me to use a different sprayer after the event is like using a retroscope or predicting the lottery numbers on Sunday for the previous Saturday!!! I was a bit anxious after thinking I had covered all the bases.
    Just needed a little advice to get my baby perfect!
    Will go up there tomorrow to see if it has improved.
    Maybe I am being a bit too fussy.
    Any advise on "Polish". To show my ignorance all I know is car wax and advocates of teflon. What might be the marine equivalent?
    Clive

philiphurst is offline Registered User

Firstly: I'm no expert!

I re-paint my classic every year usung Toplac. Last year, the chaps at International recommended their Polwax product. (Yep, they would!) I've found it to be excellent and it makes it very easy to remove the evil black streaks after rainfall. Easy to apply and buffs up a treat

If you are likely to re-paint in the future, it's best to avoid polishes containing silicon.

Just been to the boat and will add a photo soon. The orange peel is definitely less. I think it's the sodium lights that make it look worse as today with natural light it was harder to spot. Or maybe the sprayer was correct and it has tightened up. Still some info on polishing finishing please. Will look at the international suggestion and interesting comment on silicone.
    Thanks
    Clive

lustyd is offline Registered User

I'd let the sprayer do what he suggests - it's pretty much what my brother said (he's also a sprayer although on cars). From what he said, on cars they will always polish either way (not for production line obviously) because it's not possible to get a consistent enough finish over the whole vehicle so a better finish can be achieved and faster by spraying a few coats on then flattening and polishing which will give the mirror finish you desire.

Or you could do what I did - let the paintwork remain dull and put it in the water to sail anyway
    Vivacity 20, South Coast
    http://yachtlivemagic.blogspot.com