Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    V1701 is offline Registered User

Though you'd be buying an older boat, I'd at least have a look at one of the centre cockpit, large aft cabin Moodys, e.g. http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/...7/moody-37.htm. They have a more civilised sleeping cabin than the aft cockpit boats have and could be a better choice if there's just the two of you. Budget for additional costs if you end up with a boat over 12 metres. Most of all good luck...

Wansworth is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by seastar777 View Post
    I know, I know it is like Sky and Earth, but still... We are couple of old dreamers, you can call us old fools..I am 43 , husband is 67. We going to buy a boat and live a board. When we started to look for a boat we liked Birchwood 330 , but the more we look the more we like idea of sailing boat. Inevitable luck of experience makes decision harder. So we will be very grateful for any opinion.
    Evey body is entitled to dreams but sometimes dreams can turn into nightmares,as others have suggested bget some hands on experience first off........how is the back,boating is hard on the back,have fun.I see you on a nice Incape 45 living aboard with the occassional midweek outing!

Quote Originally Posted by djbreeze View Post
    Though you'd be buying an older boat, I'd at least have a look at one of the centre cockpit, large aft cabin Moodys
    Thank you very much , we actually were looking at them, and I do like Moody, and Westerly , Oceanlord in particular. The only thing that's worrying me -older boat - more maintenance. Though I read reviews for Moody and they all are very good. So yes we definitely will be considering them.
    Last edited by seastar777; 06-03-12 at 22:22.

Quote Originally Posted by mogy View Post
    how is the back,boating is hard on the back,have fun.I see you on a nice Incape 45 living aboard with the occassional midweek outing!
    Thank you, so far-so good and there is a hope that once we will leave Wash for warmer and less foggy places it will be even better

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    You are welcome to have a look at my boat to get an idea of what a together boat looks like. If you want to pursue the idea of chartering and possible buying a boat PM me and I can give you contacts in Greece.
    Thank you very much we will certainly accept your kind offer.
    Tania

Wansworth is offline Registered User

Smile

Thank you, so far-so good and there is a hope that once we will leave Wash for warmer and less foggy places it will be even better
    Sorry didnt read all the threads,you are obviously half way there!!! If I was dreaming of a liveaboard I would definatly have a wheelhouse,nothing nicer than sitting down watching the world go by sipping tea.....and keeping an eye onall the antics of the neighbours!!!

We're looking at doing the same, spending a year or two learning the craft
    The Bavaria 390 & 410 Lagoon are on our shortlist also, seems there are none around the uk to get a peek. So we're booking flights for next week to have a look at some around the med
    Should be fun.
    Spent last week on a Westerly Sealord & decided the centre cockpit would be good for colder climbs, but a larger aft cockpit would suit us better if & when we get further south.

Very best of luck to you.

Can you let me know if you find a 390L in the uk? Not to buy, just to look.

Thank you very much , we actually were looking at them, and I do like Moody, and Westerly , Oceanlord in particular. The only thing that's worrying me -older boat - more maintenance. Though I read reviews for Moody and they all are very good. So yes we definitely will be considering them.
    That's not always the case regarding maintenance a good sound older boat is generally built tougher so less bigger things to go wrong.. Of course depending on which boat you choose.
    We have, moored next to us, a few 'plastic fantasic' boats and they are forever having larger jobs done to them. Where as our 30 year old Najad 343 its more cosmetic 'fun' jobs..(even though WE own one I would advise away from buying a boat with teak decks!)
    Motor maintenance is likely to be similar.
    I would probably say the Moody range (especially 35 & 376) as djbreeze has suggested is a good range to look at... quite modern, yet sturdy.
    To have a boat is not to have problems, but to find solutions..

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    That's not always the case regarding maintenance a good sound older boat is generally built tougher so less bigger things to go wrong.. Of course depending on which boat you choose.
    We have, moored next to us, a few 'plastic fantasic' boats and they are forever having larger jobs done to them. Where as our 30 year old Najad 343 its more cosmetic 'fun' jobs..(even though WE own one I would advise away from buying a boat with teak decks!)
    Motor maintenance is likely to be similar.
    I would probably say the Moody range (especially 35 & 376) as djbreeze has suggested is a good range to look at... quite modern, yet sturdy.
    Not sure I would agree with you. The Moody, particularly the 37/376 is an excellent boat. However the number of really good ones around is very small and usually not for sale. I looked seriously at buying one (or other Moody) about 5 years ago and only found one that was worth buying - and it sold the day it went on the market for about 20% more than the typical asking price.

The problem is that they are at an age where expensive things are starting to go wrong, and many have old equipment, so you end up spending large sums to bring them up to the standard of newer boats. Each time I looked at older boats I was disappointed and was relieved to get back to my (then) 6 year old Bavaria - still going strong 5 years later.

What about the Moody 35?
    I also looked at buying one of these and they seemed to get very good reviews..
    Ok, I stayed with our Najad for other reasons, and am happy with our boat. She's from 1981 and the teak deck is giving me grief but I suppose that's to be expected.
    To have a boat is not to have problems, but to find solutions..