Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Corfu airport to Gouvia taxis on strike?

we are currently anchored outside Gouvia marina waiting for my elderly parents who are flying in on monday night. Apparently the local taxis are still on strike but nobody seems to know if the airport taxis are working. Has anyone flown in in the last few days? I didnt want to hire a car but might have to. If we do have to bus it will they be running at 11pm?

It may be worth having a quiet word with one of the local taxi drivers, what has been happening here on Kefalonia is, the Taxi drivers have been using their own private cars to pick up from airport. (they dont like not earning!)

On strike in Preveza/lefkas too. Lefkas marina laying on mini buses though

Default marina mini buses?

I will be in the same position later this week.. friends flying in on Thursday, and a friend flying out on friday, and I'm booked in for the night in Gouvia. I wonder if Gouvia can be persuaded to follow Lefkas's lead and put on mini-buses?

Anyone with any clout with the marina? Or anyone want to share a car? maybe I'll have to hire one for a day.

Default Ferries say no, at the moment

A good link to follow is......http://www.easytravelreport.com/index.html

Possible Greek ferry strike
    24 July Greek ferry union will not have any industrial action during month of August or for the rest of July.
    20 July Greek ferry union Panhellenic Seamen's Federation (PNO) will meet Thursday, threatening strike for July. athensnews.gr
    ---
    Greek taxi strike
    Update:-Sunday 24 July Taxi strike to continue, but without blocking ports, roads, airports. Drivers will demonstrate on Tuesday outside parliament.

Update:-Day 5 Friday, 22 July Ferry union vote down strike for July. Meet again end of August.
    Friday Information from Top Level Tours
    Cruise passengers Crete and Corfu Dailymail

Radio Taxis of Corfu provide the greatest bulk of the service from the airport. Their number is 00302661033811 and the despatcher speaks good english. Give them a call for info.

Chas

Buses were running last Friday ,last one to the airport is about 9.50 pm I think. They seem to run from the port to the main square and then you change to the airport bus. They did run some extra ones on Fri but normally they aren`t that frequent.

Bless `em --- the taxis drivers are doing there best to ensure they won`t have anyone to carry next year so putting up their already high charges won`t help them a bit ,but they just do not get get it do they!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgee View Post
    Buses were running last Friday ,last one to the airport is about 9.50 pm I think. They seem to run from the port to the main square and then you change to the airport bus. They did run some extra ones on Fri but normally they aren`t that frequent.

Bless `em --- the taxis drivers are doing there best to ensure they won`t have anyone to carry next year so putting up their already high charges won`t help them a bit ,but they just do not get get it do they!
    The charge from the Airport to Gouvia Marina has been 16 for locals for a long time but the "Tourist" rate has been 20 for the same length of time. I get charged on average 18 dependant upon the driver recognising me as a regular.

Chas

Latest news just two minutes ago from my man on the ground: Pickets on the Marina gate. They smashed the windscreen of a "blackleg" last night who was using his own car and carrying on servicing his "private" customers. Best advice: Rent a car from the airport or the marina. " Ocean rent a car"at the marina gives the best rates in my experience. Gouvia Marina have NOT arranged a minibus as yet.

Chas

The Corfoit taxi drivers are quite simply thieves.They are obliged by law to set their meters(according to the controller I spoke to at length a few years ago) but never do and charge what they think they can get away with and are not properly regulated.The fare on the meter from the Airport is probably about 15 euros(never having a meter set this is an educated guess),and I have had cases of them 5 years ago charging our guests 30 euros!,even the children 25 euros from Corfu town(taxi no 120 from memory).I just give them 15 euros or 20 if they are polite and normally they accept this.If they get iffy I point out to them that the meter wasn't set ...and then they get a bit Greek and go back to the Airport for their next target.Regulars,have you noticed how the taxi tarriff at the Airport has been removed,or maybe it's been replaced again...............anyhow best of luck to you all we are now in Montenegro where the people are proud and honest and the food is an experience alone.Marina fees are comparable to Gouvia and not in maybe 50 taxi rides has one tried it on.Also we have flights all year round and the most incredible scenery..and duty free fuel at at +-72c a litre if you check out,but hey Dubrovnik for lunch ain't so bad and back in the evening with full tanks.
    If I have time will start a Montenegro thread or PM me for more info
    Last edited by Mad Pad; 26-07-11 at 06:04. Reason: Extend post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast