Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: More daft cruising-dinghy dreams...

It’s not a cruisin dinghy unless a cup of tea can be brewed up underway!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    I really don't understand why you're mucking about trying to modify racing dinghies for cruising... Also, helming on the trapeze is not easy...
    Check the thread date, Bob. Long time ago...

...since then I bought a different boat. Remember, you said you could probably find me an old RS400 spinnaker? Never mind, I found a brand new one at rock-bottom price.

And you're right, helming from trapeze isn't for beginners. Alright after five years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    I've brewed fresh coffee in the Osprey, does that count? Not while trapezing, admittedly.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Check the thread date, Bob. Long time ago...

...since then I bought a different boat. Remember, you said you could probably find me an old RS400 spinnaker? Never mind, I found a brand new one at rock-bottom price.

And you're right, helming from trapeze isn't for beginners. Alright after five years though.
    My bad. I thought you were at it again. I'd forgotten about the 400 kite. I'll ask when I see them next week.

Question Re: More daft cruising-dinghy dreams...

Putting a trapeze on a boat increases the compression loads in the mast massively and increase the twisting loads in the boat, There's a good chance that you'll just blow the boat up.
    Unlike the Wayfarer, the CL-16 has a simplified, non-tapered mast. Would that significantly affect its suitability for trapeze usage?

CL-16.jpg

My bad. I thought you were at it again. I'd forgotten about the 400 kite. I'll ask when I see them next week.
    That would be very kind. Actually I'd welcome almost any small asymmetric - I'm making quite a collection. I have a height-adjustable spinn halyard attachment, and a growing range of bowsprits. When I decide what size/length/height is right, I'll make it permanent.

Great photo, Walther!

I've never had more fun, than since I discovered through necessity that most two-handed boats can be gently modified to allow efficient singlehanding.

It doesn't make the racers at my club very happy though - I s'pose it must be gutting, to see my ineptly handled, tired old boat pulling away from them, with only my weight on board. Limited to light winds, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Great photo, Walther!
    Thanks Dan. Just to be clear, it isn't my photo, I pulled it off the Internet.

If you search "CL16 sailing" on YouTube, you can see a 45-second video clip of CL 1916 being singlehanded off the trapeze.

Nice. I quite like this vid, of a Fireball being singlehanded. Turn the volume down before you play it! I believe the gent holding it all together was in his seventieth year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Well when young and daft we cooked soup under way in a Fireball, while carrying a tent stuffed into the buoyancy tanks so I think I know where Dan is coming from.

Incidentally there's an Albacore with good cover, spare set of cruising sails and a combi trailer going at my club for £475; I don't know the boat or owner.

Sounds good but then I wonder about the Albacore's moulded wood construction.

What Dan really needs is to stop faffing about and get an Anderson 22 but I'd love to have his Osprey pull alongside for a chat !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please PM me here - www.anderson22class.co.uk

Cool Re: More daft cruising-dinghy dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    What Dan really needs is to stop faffing about and get an Anderson 22 but I'd love to have his Osprey pull alongside for a chat !
    Thanks Andy...I can almost guarantee the latter some time soon, but not the former. Having been thoroughly persuaded by you of the Osprey's fine qualities, I'm in no hurry to upgrade, ever! When I can afford a motor-sailer for all-season cruising, the dinghy will be even more necessary to remind me what real sailing is about.

And I still heartily encourage idle cruising yachtsmen who'd like some relaxed dinghy-sailing, not to assume that a heavy, humbly-canvassed class or an una-rigged racer is best-suited to their thinking.

The multiplicity of considerations that a good yachtsman can juggle for any passage, sets him up to judge his options and limits. Most small singlehanded racing dinghies take a far narrower view, because the short courses they sail only need brief, determined and energetic righting, steering and sheeting...

...whereas (at least as far as I see it), the man in a boat too big for him, faces an involving array of options and physical limits, in order to get the best he can from the boat while maintaining control. It certainly needn't be stressful, because competition isn't pressing him to take chances - he can enjoy the power or throttle back.

So I've sat on the cockpit floor with coffee while just the roller-genoa drove the boat in a stiff breeze; and later hoisted all sail to make exciting progress that's impossible for lesser boats, in lighter winds.

There is also a whopping ego-trip available, as you blast nonchalantly past little, over-crewed raceboats.

Nor am I the only one doing it...

I once read an account of a chap at Y Felinheli on the Menai Straits, singlehanding his Flying Dutchman. I've wanted an FD ever since.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dancrane; 11-11-17 at 23:49.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast