Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Beadle is offline Registered User
    Location : Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles from station.

Good thread

If I ever want to sell a SSB set

I'll hold it to ransom
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

James Marinero is offline Registered User

Default Complementary

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    I agree with the comments above and would add a few. SSB is the lifeblood of long distance cruising, for keeping in touch with other boats and weather nets. If you are staying in the UK the above is irrelevant but you will miss out on free weather faxes and forecasts.

On the subject of satphones they are complementary to SSB but the airtime is so expensive we kept ours in the grab bag, recharging it occasionally. Emergency calls are free.
    Forecasts and weather faxes - you only need an HF receiver. I have a Target HF. 200, no courses or costs.

Nets - listen in as above.

For Atlantic crossing I bought a used satphone on ebay $200. Monthly sub $19. When I wanted a forecast for S Atlantic areas I phoned my Dad and he read one off the web every couple of days. OK, I spent a few on airtime costs over that period, but I wouldn't have called it expensive in the context.

I've dithered about SSB, but kept away, as other solutions give me what I need (so far). I've got more than enough tech to look after already. Trying to KISS. Windvane next!

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    Broadcast communications (eg SSB) and point-to-point communication (telephone) serve two entirely different purposes and neither can replace the other.
    For how long though? Is it not possible to programme a smart phone to come on remotely; hence the ability to use a telephone system for general broadcast? Could multiple phones not be dialled from a single transmission relying on nothing more that the person to answer the (point to point) phone to receive the broadcast?

I am currently having a VHF system installed in a remote location to extend the range of handhelds and base stations. The service provider has offered us an additional service that uses the VHF as a telephone type system with communication between the VHF radios and telephones.
    Having time is unavoidable.

Don't get confused between smartphone and sat phone. A smartphone is essentailly an uprated mobiles phone and will only work in sight of a mobile phone system. A satphone uses communications sattelites and will work jsut about anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    Don't get confused between smartphone and sat phone. A smartphone is essentailly an uprated mobiles phone and will only work in sight of a mobile phone system. A satphone uses communications sattelites and will work jsut about anywhere!
    I understand that. There is no reason that a satellite phone could not have smarthone functionality.
    Having time is unavoidable.

>Forecasts and weather faxes - you only need an HF receiver. I have a Target HF. 200, no courses or costs. Nets - listen in as above.

I agree but with just a receiver you can't join in all the chat whether on an ocean net or a local net. It's good fun.

When I do long distance, I rent an Iridium phone for the duration. Has always been great.

Added advantage is you dont have to listen to all that stuff on cruiser nets!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    When I do long distance, I rent an Iridium phone for the duration. Has always been great.

Added advantage is you dont have to listen to all that stuff on cruiser nets!
    +1

I switched to satphone 3 years ago. It does everything I used the SSB for, plus now I can actually hear the person I am talking to.

Mind you I miss the great cruiser net repartee: "Crackle crackle you're not readable crackle can anyone relay?"

SSB's will soon go the way of sextants.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 06-11-11 at 16:55.

James Marinero is offline Registered User

Default For some...

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >Forecasts and weather faxes - you only need an HF receiver. I have a Target HF. 200, no courses or costs. Nets - listen in as above.

I agree but with just a receiver you can't join in all the chat whether on an ocean net or a local net. It's good fun.
    Maybe for some. I go to sea to get away from yacht club chatter.

Also, can obviously get weather from ships on VHF, when you see them.

Off topic question since some peeps here might know - Can you make a call on a sat phone to an emergancy number from a sat phone with no sim card in it? I probably wouldn't get much on ebay for the old motorola i have onboard so if you can still speak to an emergancy number I might as well keep the hold of it.

I've done offshore with a sat phone and going the other way to ham now, can't afford sat.