RIN is offline Registered User

Default Anyone refurbished or bought anchor train recently

Its being getting very difficult to anchor this year as the chain has got very rusty and bunches up in the locker when paying out.

Just looking around and found this shop on fleabay UK Yacht rigging and supplies http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-METRES-...#ht_1827wt_905

Seems a good price Anyone bought any chain from them or have any other suggested (not expensive) suppliers?

Alternatively any ideas for refurbing my chain? Is there an easy way to do this? or should I definitely chuck it all away?

pics below

Cheers
    Per Ardua Ad Nauseum

sarabande is online now Registered User

you might chuck the whole lot into one of those small cement mixers together with some water and a bucket of silver sand. Switch on and leave for 30 mins.

It will come out relatively clean and shiny, and you will be able to see how bad the corrosion is. I suspect the welds will be points of failure.

I did this to some rusty Landrover snow chains earlier this year, and they cleaned up a treat. Now sprayed with Rustilo preservative, and ready for action in the next snows.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

You can get chain cleaned and re galvanised for about half the price of new chain. However, you may find that shiiping costs or the cost of taking it to the factory outweigh much of the saving.

You need to be careful about buying chain on line. You need to get or see the certificate of its spec, particularly if you are going to use it on a windlass. The one you are looking at seems very cheap......

RIN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    You can get chain cleaned and re galvanised for about half the price of new chain. However, you may find that shiiping costs or the cost of taking it to the factory outweigh much of the saving.

You need to be careful about buying chain on line. You need to get or see the certificate of its spec, particularly if you are going to use it on a windlass. The one you are looking at seems very cheap......
    Well I do like to pay as little as possible for anything really but I take your point about the certificate (that particular one says on the website that it is finished to DIN 766A which I think is the appropriate standard for my Lofrans Airon windlass) I was hoping a forumite may have bought from the company and found it ok.

Sarabande, That is a good idea - I would try the cement mixer thing - if I had one!
    Per Ardua Ad Nauseum