Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    daveyw is online now Registered User
    Location : Co. Armagh
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,424

    Default Does IPC sell our data?

    My subscription to YM is a gift paid for by someone else. How come they, who have no sailing connections apart from this subscription, received advertising bumf from Moorings?

  2. #2
    Reverend Ludd's Avatar
    Reverend Ludd is offline Registered User
    Location : Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    My subscription to YM is a gift paid for by someone else. How come they, who have no sailing connections apart from this subscription, received advertising bumf from Moorings?
    Davey

    I think you nailed it in one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9,580

    Default assume the worst

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Ludd View Post
    Davey

    I think you nailed it in one.
    assume that all your data is sold to everyone many times over
    and then sold on again after that

    Dylan

    ktl does not sell data though

  4. #4
    Lady Campanula is offline Registered User
    Location : Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Some time ago I asked this question and got a written reassurance from the Company Secretary that they don't. As I recollect, Marketing Manager Richard Shead also affirmed the same. So how reliable is that......


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9,580

    Default it was written on paper

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Campanula View Post
    Some time ago I asked this question and got a written reassurance from the Company Secretary that they don't. As I recollect, Marketing Manager Richard Shead also affirmed the same. So how reliable is that......

    then it is probably worth at least the paper it was written on

    Dylan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    57,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    My subscription to YM is a gift paid for by someone else. How come they, who have no sailing connections apart from this subscription, received advertising bumf from Moorings?
    More than likely, when subscribing, your 'someone else' ticked, or didn't tick, boxes allowing emails from IPC or partners. So probably perfectly valid.

  7. #7
    Lakesailor's Avatar
    Lakesailor is online now Registered User
    Location : A North Country Lake
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    28,150

    Default

    Research required. Someone needs to go through the subscription process on-line to verify that thought.
    Not me though. I couldn't give a stuff.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post
    ktl does not sell data though
    Given your parlous state, methinks you're missing a trick...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    57,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
    Research required. Someone needs to go through the subscription process on-line to verify that thought.
    Not me though. I couldn't give a stuff.
    No research required. The boxes will be there, either online or paper format.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Just subscribed. 6 month DD. All boxes unticked which was a pleasant surprise. Last time I did this IPC had automatically ticked all the "Send me Junk" boxes so may be they are learning.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •