Default Bugel Anchor: Any test data?

I have a 60lb genuine CQR. It held the boat securely overnight in a force 9 on one occasion, and was then very hard to pull out, but on other occasions it has been difficult to set, though once in it always stays in. Because of the above I am considering getting a new type anchor.

In Turkey the local copies of the German Bugel anchor are very popular, and despite some poorly made ones having been sold I know that I can get a well made 27Kg one. Has anyone ever seen a test of this design, which features a flat, sharp pointed fluke, and a very thick and heavy shank, plus a roll bar. They are said to cut through weed better than most, and it is generally weed that stops the CQR digging in. I know that a Bugel won't self launch, but the CQR does not do so either.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Thumbs down

Hi Norman,
    there must be some test somewhere on www.Yachtingmonthly.com although i haven't read it.

A page in german language about the Bugel anchor exists an can be found here:
    http://www.esys.org/esys/anken-buegelanker.html

In case your german needs improvement:
    That page consists of two parts, first sounds like the text of an commercial advertisement, second is a report from a german yacht using the Buegel anchor.
    Conclusion of this report: very bad
    Did not hold on weed, mud or extremely soft bottom
    Bad on smooth rocky bottom, due to the sharp blade danger of getting trapped in crevices
    Bad when pull of the chains come sideways (e.g. when mooring stern to in a marina)
    Needs lots of chain (5 to 7 times depth)

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

I have a copy of one test, Motor Boat Magazine dated May 07 (perhaps Australian?). It set well but didn't do so well in ultimate holding power, attributed to its relatively small area. We see many of them in Greek waters and I have spoken to many satisfied owners, although it is rare to find anybody who doesn't defend their choice.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Bear in mind that all anchor tests are a straight line, increasing pull. Anchors are never pulled in a straight line unless they are dragging. Anchor loads are angled snatch loads, also they don't take account of a 180 degree tide turn, thus I don't believe the tests. The only way to really test them is get (say) 12 of the same boats and anchor them all with the same amount of chain or rope/chain, in tidal waters at a start wind speed of 10 knots and wait for a gale to come through. Then I'll believe the tests

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    Bear in mind that all anchor tests are a straight line, increasing pull. Anchors are never pulled in a straight line unless they are dragging. Anchor loads are angled snatch loads, also they don't take account of a 180 degree tide turn, thus I don't believe the tests. The only way to really test them is get (say) 12 of the same boats and anchor them all with the same amount of chain or rope/chain, in tidal waters at a start wind speed of 10 knots and wait for a gale to come through. Then I'll believe the tests
    Even then you'd to have to organise it so that each hook dropped on an identical piece of seabed, and not into a soft patch, or a rocky bit, or a weedy bit. Not simple.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

The Bugel is a big improvement over the CQR, not as good as the more complex new generation anchors such as Rocna, Manson Supreme and Spade If the copy is good it provides excellent holding power for the cost.
    The other good cheap anchor to consider is the Delta. Not as good as a genuine Bugel, but its not a copy, so you know its been made correctly.
    I still think cruising people are better spending the money for the best anchor, but if you have to economise, Delta or a good Bugal copy are about the best you will get IMHO.

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    , but if you have to economise, Delta or a good Bugal copy are about the best you will get IMHO.
    Bugel is a strange case, I seem to remember. Apparently the design is freely available to anyone who wants to make it. I'm not sure if the design is by WASI, or vice versa. So there is actually no such thing as a copy, every one is as valid as any other. Provided the design doesn't call for any high strength materials, of course

I don't think you can do a lot better than a Delta. In around 10 years mine only failed to set once, on extremely hard sand on a surf beach, and dragged in very soft mud in around force 10 gusting horrendously. It doesn't have the highest holding force but the numbers are so high as to be largely unrealistic. Will my deck cleats hold at four tonnes?
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Bugel is a strange case, I seem to remember. Apparently the design is freely available to anyone who wants to make it. I'm not sure if the design is by WASI, or vice versa. So there is actually no such thing as a copy, every one is as valid as any other. Provided the design doesn't call for any high strength materials, of course

I don't think you can do a lot better than a Delta. In around 10 years mine only failed to set once, on extremely hard sand on a surf beach, and dragged in very soft mud in around force 10 gusting horrendously. It doesn't have the highest holding force but the numbers are so high as to be largely unrealistic. Will my deck cleats hold at four tonnes?
    Interesting. There are are lot of original Wasi made Bugel anchors around here. The Amels fitted them as standard and they have a loyal following with many German boats. I have seen some terrible copies (for want of a better term) with very different geometry to the Wasi which is a pity when it is such a simple design.
    I think your concern about the deck cleats is valid. I have seen a few damaged after anchoring in strong wind. Its blowing 35K here at the moment with gusts in the low 40s, even in this moderate wind the forces on the rode are very high and I am grateful my boat has a nice big Samson post.