Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cardiff to Portishead reporting question

When travelling from Cardiff to portishead are small vessels required to report in on channel 12 to Bristol VTS at the reporting points or is this only applicable to larger vessels

I also remember seeing online somewhere a PDF detailing reporting points and crossing points but for the life of me cannot find it now. If anyone can place a link to that document it would be much appreciated

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by sb99; 18-08-11 at 00:02.

Bristol VTS don't require you to report. The only time they require small boats to report is when leaving the Avon on the way down the channel. It is advisable to monitor Channel 12.
    Details and a link etc are here:
    http://cardiffyachtclub.proboards.co...lay&thread=898
    There is a leaflet, which has my boat on the front, but I can't find my pdf copy at present.
    Allan

Thanks you for the reply Allan, very helpful.

Steve

I only found out from a recent trip that if there are several boats going up (or down) the Avon, only one boat needs to alert Bristol VTS - the rest should just maintain a listening watch on Ch12. This applies even if you aren't in an organised convoy.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I only found out from a recent trip that if there are several boats going up (or down) the Avon, only one boat needs to alert Bristol VTS - the rest should just maintain a listening watch on Ch12. This applies even if you aren't in an organised convoy.
    I attended a talk given by Bristol VTS and he explained/asked why people felt the need to call in and say exactly what the previous boat had just said?
    Not long after Portishead marina opened they were getting a call from every boat leaving the lock advising VTS that they were leaving the lock, you can imagine their frustation.

We call them when entering the Avon inbound for Bristol as they will advise the Bristol Dock Master we are on our way in, we also let them know when we are leaving the Avon as they have sometines asked small boats to hold station in the river until a large ship leaving avonmouth Docks has got out of the way.

Of course, as previously pointed out, if another boat has called in we do not repeat the message.
    See the rainbow not the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    That's the document I was after, thanks everyone

Glad to help. The second yacht in the front cover picture is my boat Chausey.
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by sb99 View Post
    When travelling from Cardiff to portishead are small vessels required to report in on channel 12 to Bristol VTS at the reporting points or is this only applicable to larger vessels

I also remember seeing online somewhere a PDF detailing reporting points and crossing points but for the life of me cannot find it now. If anyone can place a link to that document it would be much appreciated

Thanks for the help
    If you email me - chris.jones@bristolport.co.uk I will email you a PDF of the latest Bristol Port Company Recreational leaflet. There are still some copies around the local area but I plan to reprint very shortly.

A new series of talks will also be announced in early 2012. These seem to be very popular!

Kind Regards

Chris Jones
    Assistant Haven Master
    The Bristol Port Company