Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    There definitely an unsavoury feel to the place, not sure I'd want to eat there now. The walk up to Manaccan is nice and the New Inn there used to be worth the walk. (Have'nt been there for about 18 months though)
    Will give the New Inn a go next time

SimbaDog

It's a shame that you have had bad experiences at Helford River Sailing Club.

There is a new chef in now who seems very keen, the bartender is definitly an exception. Was he a younger lad or a chap in his early 30's with a beard?

I'm friends with the commodore at HRSC and she has no qualms with re-briefing any of her staff who don't show the club in a good light. She is most friendly and would welcome any feedback, positive or otherwise.

The stewardesses at HRSC do a brilliant and job and I have never known one of them to come across as anything but pleasant.
    www.cobraseawolf.webs.com - Cobra and Seawolf Owners Site

snooks is offline Registered User

As you say such a shame.

Many an afternoon did I used to spend sat down by the water with a pint and a pasty/steak/pie watching the tide come slowly in then disappear again, before we decided it was time to sail back to Falmouth.

The place will remain good in my memories. Though sadly is sounds it's not the case in reality
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish24 View Post
    SimbaDog

It's a shame that you have had bad experiences at Helford River Sailing Club.

There is a new chef in now who seems very keen, the bartender is definitly an exception. Was he a younger lad or a chap in his early 30's with a beard?

I'm friends with the commodore at HRSC and she has no qualms with re-briefing any of her staff who don't show the club in a good light. She is most friendly and would welcome any feedback, positive or otherwise.

The stewardesses at HRSC do a brilliant and job and I have never known one of them to come across as anything but pleasant.
    Was about a month ago, barman was young lad, girl taking food orders was great & apologised for the chef's attitude!

Sadly the price of waterside land is so high and the returns from pubs so low that it must be very tempting to slap a few houses on the land and retire. The Tamar is now without a pub you can access from the water and I guess a lot of other places are going the same way.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

NealB is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    The Tamar is now without a pub you can access from the water and I guess a lot of other places are going the same way.
    When the tide serves....anchor over where the Tavy joins the Tamar, then take the dinghy under the viaduct, and introduce yourself to Sarah and Ed in the Old Plough at Bere Ferrers.

jamesjermain is offline Registered User

We were in the Shipwright's a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed a very pleasant evening. We were served our food by a friendly and helpful girl and the bar service was prompt but nothing special. The situation is delightful and, on a sunny summer evening it's hard to better. I'd go back there for the location if nothing else. It would be a pity to miss it.
    Last edited by jamesjermain; 25-08-11 at 09:40. Reason: typo
    JJ
    Make mine a double

Woodlouse is offline Registered User

I was in the Shipwrights last year and remember the bar staff being quite friendly. It was quite late though, and I was a bit pissed so I might be remembering wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    Hearing that the owner is happy to lose custom through poor service makes me wonder whether this is a situation like the Spaniards on the Tamar where the landlord wanted to drive away customers so he could make a case to the planning committee that the place wasn't commercially viable so could be replaced by houses. The site is a prime one and could be replaced by several weekend cottages/flats.
    We've had a few like that in the Dales. It has become very hard to make a profit running a pub, so you can't always blame them, but some of the activities engaged in to make some pubs unprofitable deliberately are pretty sickening stuff.

Tim

We ate in the Shipwrights in July and had a very ordinary meal. Adequate service and an old fashioned menu, cooked to sixties standards. Not one to repeat.

Two years ago the waitress in the Helford River SC was a stunner. Sweet sixteen and knew exactly what effect she was having on old men every time she leant over!!