Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Slow boats to Cherbourg

I've been encouraged to come along in my Leisure 23SL. I have done the trip previously albeit on bigger boats with experienced crew. I'm still quite nervous and would only set off in ideal weather conditions. Just wondered how many other boats (if any) in this class are planning to,or have made the trip.

It'll be a while before people realise this forum is open. But hopefully you'll get a few along soon.

There have been a number of "small" boats in the last couple of years as well as a number of larger ones too!

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    I've been encouraged to come along in my Leisure 23SL. I have done the trip previously albeit on bigger boats with experienced crew. I'm still quite nervous and would only set off in ideal weather conditions. Just wondered how many other boats (if any) in this class are planning to,or have made the trip.
    If I can make it (divorce and house sale now dragging on with exquisite pain - therefore haven't previously thrown my hat into the ring), then I'll be doing it in my 27-footer. Maybe a little bigger than your boat, but still slower than anything over 30-foot, which I imagine will be the majority of yachts crossing.

As per previous crossings, I plan on maintaining 4.5kts miniumum (donk if I have to) for the 65NM, so allowing about 14hrs in the Channel itself. Mid/late-Sept weather should be quite fine, but I'd waver about departing if its blowing or forecast to blow a F6 - depending however on sea-state. Its going to be Neaps, so the only worry is leftover swell from any earlier gale. Shouldn't expect fog at this time of year. All I'd ask for is a steady F4 from the west.
    Plan B...?

I probably fall into this category. 24', gaff rigged, bilge keels, so no speed machine

I'm not going to chance it with the weather (although if it does turn out rough and anyone with a bigger boat wants extra crew I'd be delighted to be able to attend that way ). Although I've done longish trips as delivery crew on bigger boats (and very long trips on square-riggers ) this'll be the furthest I've been so far on KS and longest individual leg as skipper. So glad there's some other first-timers in small boats about

Pete

I may be along in my Jaguar 23 with partner Julia. A few ifs and buts though. Julia doesn't know a great deal about sailing and I'm not very good at catnaps so I might end up completely knackered by the time we get there.
    The other things I would like are - AIS engine by NASA £100, new set of flares £70, dinner & drinks £80, one or two essential flags, £50. All in all it looks like 3-400 quid all in. I'm pretty strapped at the moment so it may not work out. We'll try our hardest though.
    p.s. Is it essential to have either a liferaft or self inflating dinghy to keep the gendarmes happy?
    Andrew

My boat is a 26, but has only a 20' waterline. Only a F7 or above will keep me in harbour, but I'd rather have a steady W F4 too
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by ash2020 View Post
    The other things I would like are - AIS engine by NASA £100, new set of flares £70, dinner & drinks £80, one or two essential flags, £50. All in all it looks like 3-400 quid all in. I'm pretty strapped at the moment so it may not work out.
    Of that I reckon only the dinner and drinks are essential

By "new set" of flares I assume you have some old ones - how old are they and how much difference do you think it really makes? AIS is nice but people have been crossing the channel without it forever so I certainly wouldn't see it as essential. I don't have it, and although I did at one point think "I'll probably get it before my first channel crossing", in fact it's fairly unlikely I will do in the next couple of weeks and this doesn't worry me. OK, you should have a red ensign and a French courtesy flag - but £50 for that?!? Get a printed (not sewn) ensign for under a tenner - and I happen to have a spare French one I could lend you if needed.

Pete

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't got any flares now. Took my 2003 ones to the RNLI last week and I was going to wait until December to buy a new set as you then effectively get another year out of them. It sounds like the French authorities can be very strict over that one.
    I did a crossing to Alderney a couple of years ago with a very experienced sailing friend on a slightly larger boat. I had AIS then and came to the conclusion that the shipping lanes would be very scary without it during the night crossing.
    You're right about the flags, just a cheap French one would do - already have the ensign.
    I'm probably just a born worrier, for example, how on earth do you prove that VAT has been paid on your boat if its 30 years old and there's no documents?

Your boat is subject to UK requirements - not French - so in theory it shouldn't matter what you do/don't have aboard - however, in case of a search, no flares is probably better than out of date ones...

TBH - the only thing I've been asked for in Cherbourg is my SSR certificate. Beyond that they're not interested.
    Just remember though - if questioned by authorities then just be friendly and helpful - telling them what is and isn't their right is only likely to make things worse..

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    TBH - the only thing I've been asked for in Cherbourg is my SSR certificate. Beyond that they're not interested
    Didn't they want to see your passports then?
    ۞

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast