Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ash2020 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't got any flares now. Took my 2003 ones to the RNLI last week and I was going to wait until December to buy a new set as you then effectively get another year out of them. It sounds like the French authorities can be very strict over that one.
    I did a crossing to Alderney a couple of years ago with a very experienced sailing friend on a slightly larger boat. I had AIS then and came to the conclusion that the shipping lanes would be very scary without it during the night crossing.
    You're right about the flags, just a cheap French one would do - already have the ensign.
    I'm probably just a born worrier, for example, how on earth do you prove that VAT has been paid on your boat if its 30 years old and there's no documents?
    shame about the 2003 flares you could have got a a small tin of cellulose thinners from B&Q to remove the date and a date stamp from whsmith and put a new date on the old ones!

Marvellous idea, I'd still have to sit on the locker where they were festering though!
    I just don't like the idea of fireworks in an enclosed space!

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Didn't they want to see your passports then?
    Er ... no !! Marina staff not interested .... probably something to do with a load of drunks on the visitors pontoon ...

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    Er ... no !! Marina staff not interested .... probably something to do with a load of drunks on the visitors pontoon ...
    Never had a visit from the douaniers then?
    ۞

Never had a visit from the douaniers then?
    nope - best way to avoid that sort of thing is to surround yourself by a load of other visitors and look disgusted at their behaviour ... works every September around a neaps tide weekend!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    TBH - the only thing I've been asked for in Cherbourg is my SSR certificate. Beyond that they're not interested

Didn't they want to see your passports then?
    nope the marina staff have cottoned on to the SSR having the boat's name and length nicely printed on them - perfect for their needs!

Perhaps all us little ones should start a convoy? .
    I still haven't put my name forward due to still feeling a little unsure, the only thing holding me back is the thought of being alone out there and weather uncertaincies, by that I mean, will the predicted weather be actually or near enough what we'll recieve?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    TBH - the only thing I've been asked for in Cherbourg is my SSR certificate. Beyond that they're not interested

nope the marina staff have cottoned on to the SSR having the boat's name and length nicely printed on them - perfect for their needs!
    A few years ago on a bank holiday trip to St Vaast, just about at Barfluer, one of the crew tells me she does not have her passport with her!
    'The will of the people' = The will of a few fanatics who have duped the unsuspecting.

Quote Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
    A few years ago on a bank holiday trip to St Vaast, just about at Barfluer, one of the crew tells me she does not have her passport with her!
    Did she enjoy her swim home

mjcp
    Want a Discount? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    Perhaps all us little ones should start a convoy?
    Not sure I'd want to strictly follow other people's times and (especially) speeds, but certainly it would be nice to know of other Scuttlebutters in the vicinity.

Don't forget yer forum burgee if you've got one

Is there typically a designated radio channel on these jollies?

Have we finally found a use for AIS transmitters in yachts? (not that anyone in this thread will have them, I'm sure.)

KS is quite distinctive - black hull, two masts, bowsprit, four reddish sails. Give us a wave if you see us

Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast