Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vas is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    I'm old enough to just about remember that water boils at 212F as well as 100C (or a bit more in a pressurised system). Actually, when I was at Land Rover, our gasoline engines boiled at 127C, and normal temp was 110C. Was a bit worrying having cut my teeth at Jag, where anything over 95C was getting twitchy.
    my 90s vintage Fiat 2.0lt 16v turbo engined coupe runs at 98-111C, fans kick in at 108C. Heavily pushed to 330bhp and keeps running even at Greek temps (well wont push it throughout July and August with 36+C....)

Doesn't mean I'm happy with that, I'm much prefer if it run at 90-95 especially with high ambient temps.

EGT and wideband lamda sensors are the only safe way of knowing what your engine is doing, but not seen them used much in marine environments.

V.
    Last edited by vas; 01-09-11 at 16:24. Reason: oops, forgot the point I was meant to make...

Quote Originally Posted by virtuvas View Post
    my 90s vintage Fiat 2.0lt 16v turbo engined coupe runs at 98-111C, fans kick in at 108C. Heavily pushed to 330bhp and keeps running even at Greek temps (well wont push it throughout July and August with 36+C....)

Doesn't mean I'm happy with that, I'm much prefer if it run at 90-95 especially with high ambient temps.

EGT and wideband lamda sensors are the only safe way of knowing what your engine is doing, but not seen them used much in marine environments.

V.
    Old quote but petrol (gasoline) is for poofs, absolutely zero point comparing one engine with another. Running temperatures have increased higher top tank temperatures, by use of higher pressure rad caps.

EGT absolutely, and common in marine enviornment. lambda sensors in engines which do not operate stoichiometric (Diesel cycle as opposed to Otto cycle) pointless! However suddenly we are discussing combustion temperatures at same time as coolant temperatures, simply nuts.
    Last edited by Latestarter1; 01-09-11 at 20:41.