Heres another way to think about it. 97% of the worlds climate scientists agree that the climate is changing, and its at least partly down to the burning of fossil fuels, amongst other things. They agree that action will help to prevent the serious changes that our children will have to deal with.
Now if 97% of marine surveyors agreed that your stern seal was at the point of breaking, would you listen? Of course, because the chances are, that that huge majority of qualified opinions are, probably, right. Of course, the 3% who say the stern seal is fine, might also be right. But the prudent thing to do would be to take some action to change the stern seal, right? Just in case.
Which is where I sit with it all. Newspapers and bodies of opinion have been proven to be right and wrong on all sorts of issues. But the prudent thing to do is to listen to the majority of qualified opinion. And right now, the completely overwhelming majority agree that human action is changing the climate dangerously.
The 3% might be right. But just in case, I think I'll side with the 97% for now. After all I have four children.
I dont know about these speed bumps. I think if anything, they slow you down.