The vendor of the Arrowbolt was absolutely fair in his description and also advised on all that we needed to take with us to collect - like trailer wheels and trailerboard/extension etc. We also reached a deal much less than his original asking price, so no complaint whatsoever. I just hope I can do the project justice!
Results 11 to 20 of 114
04-09-11, 15:30 #11
04-09-11, 15:56 #12Registered User
Location : Bridgwater, Somerset
- Join Date
- Jun 2011
yeh did go minus the boat thing is due to weather change torquay harbour were letting people in to use slip way, but no available parking for trailers were permitied, not even dadyhole plane, that was locked up, have to admit the quay was full to breaking point with trailers and crane, just realy hope i get her in next weekend??
Project looking good, shame you cant rig up a small coverd area to keep the both of you dry and snuggled up., next time we are passing minus boat will come and say hi if your in.
04-09-11, 21:10 #13Registered User
Location : Lochaber
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
Looks like you will be doing a proper job of fixing her, glad she went to a good home.
The engine was always keen to start as long as there was plenty voltage, put a wee bit of petrol down the carb and she started easily. oil pressure and temp gauge worked. Bilge blower and bilge pump were working but then so was the trim pump.
04-09-11, 22:27 #14
I'll do my best!
I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity and as I'm pretty resourceful, I can't see anything that can't be fixed. The bits that don't work like hydraulic pump probably won't take much - I'll remove, strip, clean and overhaul one by one. The boat is complete and there's plenty of space to work so in that sense, I've got a better starting point than I would have with many newer boats!
I'll change oil and plugs etc before I fire her up, but will hopefully do this in the next couple of weeks.
If you find yourself down this way anytime, I'll gladly take you for a spin in her when done. You'll be able to monitor progress here anyway.
Thanks once again,
06-09-11, 01:44 #15
Congratulations on having a happy day.
You will really enjoy it when you have finished restoring it.
BTW I think that my bow is (was) in a worse condition than yours.
A 1/2" mooring line broke and the chap next door had a stainless steel prop on his trimmed up out board (NO! it was not running at the time.)RELAX, Rum is the answer. Now what is your Question?
06-09-11, 06:36 #16
06-09-11, 11:50 #17
06-09-11, 13:39 #18
06-09-11, 14:31 #19
18-10-11, 21:39 #20
Sorry for lack of updates - new job and various time pressures have delayed proper start on this, but here's where I'm up to:-
I fitted the canvas 'camper cover' but with no fixings for the frame and an obvious absence of one or two bits, had to botch with some cable ties etc for time being. Ultimately a new cover is very likely to be needed, but at least the old one now fits (having been well watered by the elements) and can be used as a template. Although she started to dry out, it's clear that canvas is no longer water-proof and a few large puddles reformed inside so a tarpaulin has now been put over entire boat with airflow maintained as much a practical to prevent mildew etc.
I'm aiming to aid drying by running up the motor and winterising at the same time. I've still not be able to identify the V8 Penta for certain, but as of last week sourced a syphon, oil, filter and fogging oil. I hung upside-down again at the weekend and removed the four port-side plugs ready for some derv/wd40 and then a hand crank to ensure free turn over. Unfortunately couldn't turn a ring spanner on starboard plugs (no room) so had to abandon pending a 16mm plug spanner which I now have. Hopefully will find time this week to remove remaining plugs and then ensure free rotation. Next I'll check compressions and then, all being well, fire her up and run to check temperatures, water circulation etc and change the oil.
Whilst doing the latest bat impersonation, I did check for id plate and there is definitely nothing on the port side. I wasn't able to get my head right down on starboard side (no comments please ), but have a plan to facilitate that now... I'm still working on the assumption of a 70's/80's 5.0L - so 500/501 or AQ231/211 or similar seem most likely candidates. carb appears to be a Rochester 4 barrel.
Not much other progress yet, but have sourced a tacho to fill missing item in dash and also concluded that main floor, bulkheads between cockpit/fuel tank and fuel tank/engine bay plus the sides of engine bay will all need to be replaced. Originals are not glassed in, but I will both treat and glass in the new ones - hopefully before year-end.
Will get some pictures for next update.