Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default tack-tick wind sytem

Hi
    I wondered if any of you guys had any experiance of this wireless system, any pros or cons?

Seems to me that if it works it is a great idea not having to run wires every where especially up the mast. It says in the blurb that the anometer is solar powered so that it can be charged, is this satisfactory?

Regards
    John

pvb is offline Registered User

I believe it's satisfactory until the rechargeable battery needs replacing, then it's a couple of trips up the mast to fix it.

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joha View Post
    Hi
    I wondered if any of you guys had any experiance of this wireless system, any pros or cons?

Seems to me that if it works it is a great idea not having to run wires every where especially up the mast. It says in the blurb that the anometer is solar powered so that it can be charged, is this satisfactory?

Regards
    John
    I have one of their very first systems circa 2004. It works fine. They used to be brilliant on after sales contact, but this dived when they were taken over by SUNTO. They have now been bought by Raymarine/Garmin, so we wait to see what happens there. The technology - Its VERY good.

Vara is offline Registered User

Well mines been whirling away at the top of the mast for three years with no probs. (touch wood).
    Formerly known as colmce.
    http://www.seafieldfarmcottages.co.uk

No problems with mine either.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by joha View Post
    Hi
    Have one for 3 years now.
    Mixed feelings. When it works, it's brilliant.
    Shame it doesn't always work.

When it rains, the signal sometimes gets lost. Sometimes it comes back after a while, sometimes you have to switch off/on the display unit.

However, THE Achilles heel is the batteries.
    TacTick replaced both my masthead unit and display under warranty without quibble. However, the new replacement units were only marginally better. After about 4-5 hours of darkness the masthead unit stops transmitting. After about 2.5-3 hours of darkness (with the back light on) you can forget your display unit.

Makes night sailing interesting at times.

Replacing it this winter with a conventional, wired system.

It's not bad, it's just not reliable - in my experience.

Default tack-tick wind sytem

Mmmh Have a NASA unit at the moment which does'nt work and thought this might be better! Seems it works for some people though, but it needs to work in the dark! I would have thought that the solar charging on the mast head unit would have been able to keep it up to speed. I agree that Raymarine after sales is a bit hit and miss!

J

I have no direct experiece, but I see a lot of different yachts and have an interest in electronics.
    There seems to be some reliability problems with the Tacktick instruments, particuarly related to the battery life and the wireless signal strength.

Mine's been totally fit and forget. It's the entry level system that still needs a simple 12v supply to the display, the anemometer is still wireless and solar.

Never ever had issues in rain, however my boat is 27' so it's not a huge rig. Never had issues at night, that said done very few night hours since it was fitted.
    Sabre 27 134/49er GBR340/Foiling Moth GBR3116/Flying Fifteen K797/Fireball GBR14110

I fitted one two years ago. It works fine, but, I some times feel that there is a lag in the time it takes to show a increase or decrease in the wind speed. Maybe its just me or the difference between the wind at the masthead and deck level. Haven't worked it out yet. Still tend to look at the windvane more than the instrument.