Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Laundryman is offline Registered User
    Location : Hemel Hempstead, Boat in Port Solent Marina
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    481

    Default Weather for the cruise

    This being my first channel crossing, I am watching the weather. I really need it to settle.
    At what point do you decide whether it's a go, or not please? Thanks. Alan

  2. #2
    duncan's Avatar
    duncan is offline Registered User
    Location : Home mid Kent - Boat @ Poole
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    This being my first channel crossing, I am watching the weather. I really need it to settle.
    At what point do you decide whether it's a go, or not please? Thanks. Alan
    There isn't a go call as such on the event as far as I know, and there were F7's hard on the nose both ways one year!

    If your mean in respect of your trip - this will be entirely the skipper's call based on craft and crew capabilities (the later including much more than just competence).

    In my case this could be as late as 5 miles clear of Durlston Head (at which point I can assess the full impact of any SW-W winds) or even 15 miles off one year, in strong N with a forecast for decreasing over the net 48 hours), because we knew we had reached the point where the conditions wouldn't get worse and we could handle what we had - that year we had initially made the call not to go and told Richard S (I think) by text; only to turn up at the same time the text got through! As a small planning motoboat I'm very sensitive to small differences in sea state!

  3. #3
    Talbot's Avatar
    Talbot is offline Registered User
    Location : Stavanger, Norway
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,580

    Default

    Two major factors here are size of boat and direction/strength of the wind/waves relative to the course needed to get to the destination.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    This being my first channel crossing, I am watching the weather. I really need it to settle.
    At what point do you decide whether it's a go, or not please? Thanks. Alan
    From my description of the event posting:-

    "Final decision whether to sail if up to each skipper, no deposit so no loss if weather does turn bad."

    Its another reason why the YC is the most popular choice - they do not require a deposit and are more understanding if bad weather causes few to attend.

    If its gets marginal for some of the smaller/more tender boats a number of the bigger boats may be able to take on extra crew and appreciate the extra help.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    19,836

    Default

    Is Simon Keeling going to do a Scuttlebutt Cherbourg Special Forecast next week? I have to say that he's usually pretty good.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhr View Post
    Is Simon Keeling going to do a Scuttlebutt Cherbourg Special Forecast next week? I have to say that he's usually pretty good.
    I will ask him next week - he kindly did one last year IIRC

  7. #7
    duncan's Avatar
    duncan is offline Registered User
    Location : Home mid Kent - Boat @ Poole
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailfree View Post
    I will ask him next week - he kindly did one last year IIRC
    indeed - but if had been more accurate about the return I wouldn't have gone!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    indeed - but if had been more accurate about the return I wouldn't have gone!
    My job is to organise and encourage people to attend and have a fantastic time.

    Your job is to get home afterwards!!! :-)

    You should have seen the alternative forecast I got from Michael Fish!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    This being my first channel crossing, I am watching the weather. I really need it to settle.
    At what point do you decide whether it's a go, or not please? Thanks. Alan
    Not sure who you are going with, nor where you are departing form/to...

    I find it can be a good idea to set No-Go criteria before you start to see the long range forecast, that way you don't end up talking your self into something you don't *really* want to do... (not unlike setting a maximum bid limit at an action, and sticking to it!).

    e.g. I am reluctant to bob up and down for 20+ hours in light winds (not keen on motoring for 17 hours either!, that's what Mobos are for), nor do I much like going head to wind for hours on end (either light or heavy)... So this Friday would be a No-Go based on the forecast here (light winds that swing through the nose):

    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marin...=gfs&WIND=g258

    However, a postponement of 24 hours sees 20-25 knots on the beam all the way over and 2-2.5m swell, so an upper limit can be handy too*!

    *the plan is to crew with ColHel on his 23 footer, thus 2.5m = 1/3 the boat length!

    mjcp
    Last edited by mjcp; 15-09-11 at 19:16.
    Want a Discount? PM me

  10. #10
    galadriel's Avatar
    galadriel is offline Registered User
    Location : Chichester Harbour
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,900

    Default

    Still fingers crossed, but it is looking good, isnt it?
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •