Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

so what he is looking for is this ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-409-1-...item2c59af6ec2

SJF is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
    Wow!

Does that mean you can just buy the software, put in on your laptop, connect it with the engine and perform a diagnose?

That sounds too simple to be true!
    In principal yes, VCDS as its now known (by www.ross-tech.com) is designed to plug into the OBD-II socket so if you can locate one on your engine you should be laughing. May take a little more effort however if you don't already have the right socket.

As the previous poster suggested, it is fairly pricey to buy but if you also own a VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat group car then I have found it to be extremely useful for diagnosing the odd engine management light before taking it to a dealer as needed so has easily paid for itself as far as I'm concerned. Also allows you to do things like add cruise control and Driver information system if it wasn't installed from the factory and setup tow bar ECUs correctly to name a few.

SJF

FlyingDutchman is offline Registered User

Sorry guys, I am only interested because my friend has had this problem, I do not intend to buy diagnostic software myself.
    I can fix old fashioned engines, take them apart and put them together again without having many parts left!

But I am amazed by your responses. It means that on modern cars (and boat engines) you can not do much without these diagnostic tools!
    The world has changed, in my young days most things could be fixed with hand tools...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
    T ......... If it works on the rate of change (of rpm?) then I would think that after a while a fault would accumulate which would lead to a big error in the timing?
    the rate of change is not so much as in RPM but more as in change of crank angle per 1,000 of a second! It is possible to measure the rotational rate change as the engine comes up to compression and the rate change as the fuel burns,even giving time to workout and inject the required fuel in 5 shots per cylinder according to the power requirement. (hence there is no accumulating error after the first bang)
    David