Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.

Default Help with passage plan please

As a X Channel virgin, I am trying to plan my passage. I plan to leave Gosport at 3am Saturday and arrive 4pm. I am getting confused with the bst/ utc + & -. Does anyone see a problem with those timings please.

Firstly always work in just one time zone. I always work in UT then add 1hr for BST and +1hr for FrST. For France almanac gives tides in UT +1hr = French Standard Time.

You intend to cross in 13hrs - what size boat and what passage speed are you allowing. Friday it should be light to little S winds so I think it will be main up and motoring across (main helps stabilise boat even if little drive!)

We all like to go faster but on my Dufour36 I planned for 5kts but on the 43 I plan for 6kts.

You aim for Cherbourg plus the aggregate tidal offset. eg look at tide effects going W at you estimated hourly position and add them up and compare with tide effects going E for last 6hrs. If say its 14 going West but 18 going East draw a straight line from your departure point at I of W to 4Nm to West of Cherbourg - this is course to steer. You will do roughly a S shaped curve if you plot the position on a chart but beware the effect of tide is much stronger just off Cherbourg. For this reason always aim to end up tide for last bit. Check position at half way against predicted and again at three quarters way and correct if necessary but the side tidal drift is surprising. This also allows you to make corrections if you are going faster or slower than your intended passage speed. (could be a fast reach back on Sunday)

Hopefully someone leaving Gosport on Friday will be along in a minute and explain their plan.

Appologies if my explaination was teaching to suck eggs!!

Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.

Default Help with passage plan

Thanks for that. I don't mind sucking eggs. I pretty much know what to do, just looking for a little confidence. My beneteau oceanis 321 might not be everyone's cup of tea but she performs well in light winds. See you in Cherbourg, sooner or later! Thanks. Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    Thanks for that. I don't mind sucking eggs. I pretty much know what to do, just looking for a little confidence. My beneteau oceanis 321 might not be everyone's cup of tea but she performs well in light winds. See you in Cherbourg, sooner or later! Thanks. Alan
    I don't have a private e mail address for you to sent the spreadsheet if you PM me through ybw I will send you latest list. I would have thought that a passage speed of 5kts is reasonable.

Just checked weather.

Most will be leaving on the Friday.

I note you are leaving on the Saturday. It looks like F3 to F4 mainly from the South so I would do a passage plan on 4kts to 4.5kts with a F3/4 on the nose unless you know your Beneteau can do better.

You might consider going West on Friday and dep Lymington/Yarmouth rather then direct from the East of the solent, It would give you slightly less wind on the nose...

Weather online - Portland/Wight

Also, with the wind on the nose and the tide running (for the most part) east west, there will be a C. 2 knt lift or head depending on the tack and given tide's direction. (Where as with a westerly breeze, it won't affect which tack you choose as you'll be going south on Stb)

mjcp
    Want a Discount? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    As a X Channel virgin, I am trying to plan my passage. I plan to leave Gosport at 3am Saturday and arrive 4pm. I am getting confused with the bst/ utc + & -. Does anyone see a problem with those timings please.
    As a frequent x-channel sailor may I suggest that everything else being equal you don't leave at 3am.
    Best time to leave Gosport is Portsmouth HW minus one hour. This gives a bit of Easting to get to the Bembridge Ledge, on to West Princessa, and then 200 Mag to Cherbourg.
    By then the tide will be heading West and you'll get a good push on down the South side of the Isle Of Wight.
    Hence leave Friday evening at 8pm.
    We will be leaving Gosport as soon as everyone arrives. I expect it will be close to 9.30pm by the time we get away.
    Given the forecast and winds just off the nose I'm expecting a long motor sail to get across with an ETA of 11am French time.
    Don't forget passports, Euro, courtesy flag.

I should add that mjcp post above is a good alternative.
    You could overnight Newtown River FOC and then exit via the Needles Saturday morning.
    However, I think you would end up arriving a bit late for some of the pontoon parties.
    Last edited by Talulah; 21-09-11 at 14:10.

I'll have a virtual 5'er that Laundryman wont get away from work 'till 17.00 ish Friday, then he has to get down from Hemel, Its doing to be difficult for him to plan this one. If he can get down to Gosport to leave at 20.00, he'll be knackered before he starts his overnight crossing. Far from ideal.

Laundryman. Throw a sicky on Friday!
    'The will of the people' = The will of a few fanatics who have duped the unsuspecting.

Quote Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
    I'll have a virtual 5'er that Laundryman wont get away from work 'till 17.00 ish Friday, then he has to get down from Hemel, Its doing to be difficult for him to plan this one. If he can get down to Gosport to leave at 20.00, he'll be knackered before he starts his overnight crossing. Far from ideal.

Laundryman. Throw a sicky on Friday!
    I have the same problem. I work in Hatfield. He's in Hemel. I'll be lucky to get to Gosport by 8pm. I've learnt to take the M4/Reading/Basingstoke route and avoid the M4/M3 M25 standstill.
    At least Sainsbury's deliver. That's one less job.

Quote Originally Posted by Talulah View Post
    As a frequent x-channel sailor may I suggest that everything else being equal you don't leave at 3am.
    Best time to leave Gosport is Portsmouth HW minus one hour. This gives a bit of Easting to get to the Bembridge Ledge, on to West Princessa, and then 200 Mag to Cherbourg.
    By then the tide will be heading West and you'll get a good push on down the South side of the Isle Of Wight.
    Hence leave Friday evening at 8pm.
    We will be leaving Gosport as soon as everyone arrives. I expect it will be close to 9.30pm by the time we get away.
    Given the forecast and winds just off the nose I'm expecting a long motor sail to get across with an ETA of 11am French time.
    Don't forget passports, Euro, courtesy flag.

I should add that mjcp post above is a good alternative.
    You could overnight Newtown River FOC and then exit via the Needles Saturday morning.
    However, I think you would end up arriving a bit late for some of the pontoon parties.
    Even better - go on to anchor inside Hurst,always for me, the best jumping off point from the west solent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast