Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.

Default Help with passage plan

Thank you to everyone for sharing their wisdom. To make it clear, I have a meeting at 2 pm Friday in Sunbury and plan to travel direct from there to Gosport. I can make an 8pm start but have little experience of night sailing. Is a first time night sail and a first time Channel crossing together, too much? I wonder, it's very tempting! I will keep a close eye on the forecast and make my final decision Friday. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    Thank you to everyone for sharing their wisdom. To make it clear, I have a meeting at 2 pm Friday in Sunbury and plan to travel direct from there to Gosport. I can make an 8pm start but have little experience of night sailing. Is a first time night sail and a first time Channel crossing together, too much? I wonder, it's very tempting! I will keep a close eye on the forecast and make my final decision Friday. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Alan
    Do you have radar?

Some believe that night crossings are easier in that you see the ships lights. With radar I would go for night crossing providing your crew is adequate to spell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    Is a first time night sail and a first time Channel crossing together, too much?
    I don't think night sailing per se is any harder than sailing in daylight. Piloting into new places is harder, but you couldn't get much simpler than Cherbourg so no problem there. Only issue is if you've had a long day at work and then expecting to sail all night too - assuming there's someone else who can steer, make the effort to get your head down part of the time.

Pete

Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.

Default Help with passage plan

No radar but I do have Ais. I will go with the advice from Talulah and leave at 8pm. If he overtakes me I will just follow him! Thanks. Alan

Laundryman.. I see you're still online.. It's late!

As others have said.. get some rest on the crossing... . Start a watch rota as soon as you leave (so that crew all know when they're on watch and when they're off watch).. Keep warm - it's $"*%* cold in the middle of the night... And most importantly get some rest yourself... you don't want to be arriving at a foreign shore after an all night awake. You need to be alert at that point.
    Ships.. same as or easier than in the Solent.. At least in the shipping lanes that's all there is to worry about.. and they tend to go in straight lines.. In the solent you'd have crab pots... buoys... other yachts.. land.. other motor boats. . At least mid channel it's just the shipping lanes. One other thing about the ships.. they don't necessarily follow each other.. some pass quicker than others and effectively 'overtake' slower ones.

So.. keep warm.. safe sailing.. and get those watches started... Any questions.. just ask.

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_J View Post
    Laundryman.. I see you're still online.. It's late!

As others have said.. get some rest on the crossing... . Start a watch rota as soon as you leave (so that crew all know when they're on watch and when they're off watch).. Keep warm - it's $"*%* cold in the middle of the night... And most importantly get some rest yourself... you don't want to be arriving at a foreign shore after an all night awake. You need to be alert at that point.
    Ships.. same as or easier than in the Solent.. At least in the shipping lanes that's all there is to worry about.. and they tend to go in straight lines.. In the solent you'd have crab pots... buoys... other yachts.. land.. other motor boats. . At least mid channel it's just the shipping lanes. One other thing about the ships.. they don't necessarily follow each other.. some pass quicker than others and effectively 'overtake' slower ones.

So.. keep warm.. safe sailing.. and get those watches started... Any questions.. just ask.
    Re getting head down, there's a handy couple of hours between seeing the last of the west-going shipping, and the first of the east-bound. Good opp for zzzzzzs.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Re getting head down, there's a handy couple of hours between seeing the last of the west-going shipping, and the first of the east-bound. Good opp for zzzzzzs.
    I think you will find a 'light lunch' is being served around that time.
    was BIGNICK, SkyTalk, MoodyNick in the past.

Default Getting some rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Although probably going across 24hrs earlier, because of the available wind, I also have issues with not making decisions or actions when tired. [I will be crossing on my own].

Use the quiet periods, when no shipping is expected, before and between the shipping lanes to rest, whilst still keeping a lookout, and the final approach to the landfall with its tidal problems, always needs my full attention.

Once inside the breakwaters I don't bother trying to berth in the dark and also often tired, so I normally anchor just short of the inner breakwater. Then get some sleep before breakfast and a more composed search for a berth- You can guarantee that there will be others watching/ maybe judging!

So all of you please pass OPUS, quietly, early Friday!! See you there.

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyNick View Post
    I think you will find a 'light lunch' is being served around that time.
    Chez nous it'll be fine dining (the butler, Hollamby, is just buffing up the silver) but for Laundryman that hole in the traffic is gonna be in the wee small hours.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

It is worth noting that there are lobster pots down the East side of the island and even out further when you'd hope to be reasonably clear. I've even seen very few out in mid Channel. Worth mentioning to all on board to try and keep a keen eye on things. Some boats coulld still be motoring then.

Otherwise as they say when out in the Channel proper, virtually everything dangerous is lit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12