Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: vliho storm

Default vliho storm

60 knot 'hurricane' lastnight knocked many boats down in boatyard at Vliho (Levkas) and 1 Catamaran blown over (presumabaly at anchor), 4 people killed.,

See the "Hold on to your hats in Corfu" thread for more on this.

Default Vliho storm

It was more than 60knots, more like 100 (with 35 years north sea experience I know the difference between 60 and 100 knots). We had about 30seconds warning and managed to start the engine unlike most people. We were knocked flat at least three times and feel lucky to have survived with minor damage to the boat and only bruises to ourselves.

A truly terrifying experience.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis07 View Post
    It was more than 60knots, more like 100 (with 35 years north sea experience I know the difference between 60 and 100 knots). We had about 30seconds warning and managed to start the engine unlike most people. We were knocked flat at least three times and feel lucky to have survived with minor damage to the boat and only bruises to ourselves.

A truly terrifying experience.
    strewth -that sounds like a complete nightmare. If you have the time or incilnation and I don't blame you if you don't, a detailed accouint would be of interest to many of us. Do you have any info in the rumoured 4 killed, numbers of boats beached/sunk, wrecked in the boatyard etc.
    The video on the other thread shows one body on the beach. I can't believe it is the same place we have sheltered safely from high winds so many times.
    Very glad to hear you made it OK.

Default Vliho squall

This catamaran capsized at the height of the squall trapping one female in the cabin, showing great bravery Ruari Bradley swam into the upturned hull and rescued the woman ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lefkasman; 07-10-11 at 11:56. Reason: updated information

regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

Unhappy

If anyone has any doubts as to the severity of the storm then this video by Alex Kokkinis taken during the height of the storm brings home to anyone who thinks that the Mediterranean are benign sailing grounds.

You will note in the early section of the video that the wind blows right to left and at 2: 55 as it changes very dramatically and swings 180° which suggests that it was a tornado! Watch the ketch drift dragging its anchor to the left.

I think that it was as artemis07 states, much more than 60 knots and fully agree, nearer 100 knots.

All the yachts blown over at 4:57 and the covered body of someone who didn't make it at 7:34, so sad.

http://mylefkada.gr/eidhseis/nea/6435-vlyxo.html
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

That is much more than 60 knots. That is serious wind IMHO. It looks like an intense microburst to me. All over very quickly. It would be interesting to know if precending the blast the wind changed temperature, alternating between warm and cold ? One feels very sorry for those affected by this event including injury, loss of life and the inevitable trail of damage. It goes to show the Med is not the idyllic pond many believe it to be.

Terrifying. We spent a stormy night at anchor in Vliho on a flotilla holiday a couple of years ago but never dreamt anything like this was possible there. Thoughts go out to those involved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast