Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    This happened to me with Fairline when i was about to deliver my deposit cheque - I was buting a Fairline at SIBS walked down the pontoon and went on a Princess. The rest is history.
    mjf, you are late to this thread! Well, your's is the first case on this thread of someone really not buying a FL there-and-then because of boat show stand treatment. Fair point then: they missed a clear sale here then and ought to review their practices and improve. (That said, I do find this strange. Everyone knows that keeping appointments on a boat show stand is near impossible and i would have cut them some slack on that point, rather than buying my 2nd favourite boat and forever driving it around the sea thinking "this is my second favourite boat ". But of course each to their own)

Thanks for the info on Princess maagement seeing customers. I stand corrected. Well, actually if you read what I wrote I don't think I was wrong even with your correction but let's not get pedantic! It's good to hear Prin had senior management present. Though I think Fairline do it better: I spent 40 minutes on the Prin85 and can actually buy it, and I am of course thinking about next boat or next-but-one. The salesman knows me - he has showed me Princesses at perhaps the last 4 or 5 boat shows and he sold a Sunseeker 70 to a colleague of mine and we all met together then. He knows I have a new Sq78 and it's obvious that any Sq78 owner is a good prospect because FL don't make bigger. Despite all that, no management said hello to maybe 1% or turnover (though, the salesman was perfectly nice and totally competent). In contrast Fairline's directors/shareholders and some days the CEO was on hand to talk to all large customers/prospects and did actually do so (I saw them at it - indeed they introduced some s78 prospects to me to tell an owner's side of the story). Now, none of this would actually drive my buy/not buy a Princess for the BMW dealer reasons given above, but subtley it forms part of a builder-customer long term relationship and as I say Fairline do this better than Princess imho.

I dunno what the fuss is about. Surely anyone who has upwards of half a bar to bung on a boat is going to have the gumption to pick up the phone to EBY and say: "Hi, I'm in the market for a Fairline but didn't get to see the XYZ model at the boat show last week. Could you show me round". And I would be stunned if they were not then given every opportunity to relieve themselves of a satisfyingly large amount of cash.

Hurricane is offline Registered User

I was buting a Fairline at SIBS walked down the pontoon and went on a Princess. The rest is history.
    This typo/slip depicts the feeling we get

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    I dunno what the fuss is about. Surely anyone who has upwards of half a bar to bung on a boat is going to have the gumption to pick up the phone to EBY and say: "Hi, I'm in the market for a Fairline but didn't get to see the XYZ model at the boat show last week. Could you show me round". And I would be stunned if they were not then given every opportunity to relieve themselves of a satisfyingly large amount of cash.
    Yep - but my point is that we had ALREADY made up our minds - their loss as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    As I say, difficult because even now, Fairline dont have what we want - in fact nobody does - our P67 has features that we now cant find on Princess either - internal stairs - dinghy on FB etc....
    Er ... I can think of one Squadron 78 Custom which has both internal stairs _and_ a tender on the fly...

Cheers
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Er ... I can think of one Squadron 78 Custom which has both internal stairs _and_ a tender on the fly...

Cheers
    Jimmy
    Not rising to the bait, Jimmy

mjf is offline Registered User

Yes tardy start for me jfm - sorry but was busy elsewhere earlier.

FWIW we had looked at only Fairline and Sealine at LIBS and got keen on a Ph38.

We had fab service from Peters and had a sea trial etc - to make it an occassion we decided as SIBS was so close and the build date was to be 1st Q the following year anyway we would meet our man at 1000hrs on preview day and hand over the cheque and spec the boat there at the show (curtains / carpets et al). We arrived on time and our man was not available so we walked up the pontoon and in those days Princess had a sort of mini stand reception desk with a P38 behind it. we stopped in this area whilst we 'killed time' before heading back to Fairline. Quite how we had overlooked princess before is beyond me but we had..... So, long story short, we were invited to look at the 38 and both preferred the saloon woodwork and several other Princess vs Fairline differences. We then had a re-think and did a deal. We owned up to fairline btw .

I only say this to support mikef view above.

A missed appointment can cost.......I arranged 1000hrs to ensure i was number uno on the stand QED

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    Ah it seems out experience has been echoed above exatly in other posts! As I originally said, this was no reflection of EBY who we had dealings with previously, instead we ended up looking at a different product from a different manufacturer and SWMBO (and I too) liked it so much we are off to take a closer look.

I find that the buying experience also forms a great deal of the feel good factor you build with a seller and manufacturer and so far everything is going well and we like the boat very much. Having said that the whole 'change the boat' thing started in St Kats over the summer whilst admiring a TGT so EBY may still get that call but at the moment Fairline have dropped off the list

jfm is offline Registered User

We had fab service from Peters and had a sea trial etc - to make it an occassion we decided as SIBS was so close and the build date was to be 1st Q the following year anyway we would meet our man at 1000hrs on preview day and hand over the cheque and spec the boat there at the show (curtains / carpets et al). We arrived on time and our man was not available so we walked up the pontoon and in those days Princess had a sort of mini stand reception desk with a P38 behind it. we stopped in this area whilst we 'killed time' before heading back to Fairline. Quite how we had overlooked princess before is beyond me but we had..... So, long story short, we were invited to look at the 38 and both preferred the saloon woodwork and several other Princess vs Fairline differences. We then had a re-think and did a deal. We owned up to fairline btw .
    Good story and poor show by the goon salesman. But let's be clear: that sale was lost I think because he missed the appointment, not becuase there was a front desk/pre-screen on the boat show stand.

And on the punctuality thing I completely take your point. Even my-haphazardly-self is punctual when circumstances demand, this being a good example of such circumstances.

Reds is offline Registered User

It could be worse ! At the Palma boat show 12 years ago we decided to buy a Jeannau. We had never owned a boat before and presumably that was obvious to the salesman but we were very enthusiastic and had the cheque book out . He then excused himself for "5 minutes". Half an hour later we were still standing in the sun waiting his return, 45 minutes later we walked off and bought a Sea Ray !