Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    admillington is offline Registered User

Call James Barke direct on his mobile 07813333333 and I am sure he will want to help you. Then you wil be able to see a T44 in an unhurried relaxed manner - knowing him he will leave you on the boat and let you lift all the floors etc. The T44 is a special boat and has to be worth a look before you buy anything. Essex will probadly do an easy part exchange as well so you could have the boat soon. For reference, I am a happy Fairline Customer (7 boats so far) and no connection with Essex Boat yard aparts from paying them money.

Don't worry, as you have probably guessed I have been fiercely defensive of EBY as I have had dealings with Guy before - he even drove down to Fambridge with me to view a boat... I have their number firmly put away - however, the point was that, on this occasion, we didnt get on board and get a chance to look at the boat.

Just made me - and justifiably so - bloomin angry - as after all it is a SHOW!

OK someone has emailed me and said 'well you did go on a Saturday' - fair one... and another of my friends went to the Fairline stand very late and managed to look at just about everything in contrast, however others I spoke to when out and about last night had also said that they too had been 'disuaded' by the efficient - and yes - good looking receptionist!
    Last edited by MY littlebirchwoo; 25-09-11 at 17:33.

carannah is offline Registered User

I didnt have any problem looking at any of the boats from Fairline and any of the others this year or last and when I walked up I made it clear that I just wanted to have a look. This year I found the Fairline people at there fenced off pontoon area extremely friendly.
    Thats just my experience

EME is offline Registered User

Default It's a British Thing...

Like many I really struggle with this 'attitude'. Sure -- make it so that there are not too many peeps on a boat at any one time and that everyone is accompanied.

5-10 years ago, Sunseeker were awful .. their sales folks being wannabe security guards. I wrote at the time about my M-I-L (= the bank) and how she was treated. I thought this had disappeared and not seen it from Sunseeker in recent years , and I'm sure James (EBY) would never be party to such behaviour.

However, I've just been to Cannes (and Monaco) and no brands from any country demonstrated this behaviour. The worst experience (and no big deal) was Sealine ... but that is undoubtedly due to their strange position/logistics in a corner at Cannes. The only challenge being NOT to sign-up for a sea test with every manufacturer. That being everything from 35 - 90 feet btw ...

It has to be a Brit-Show thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MY littlebirchwoo View Post

At least you didn't have to pay for your tickets. I guess you were just unlucky with your timing as SIBS can be busy.

We too were guests of Sealine (despite not owning one) and enjoyed their hospitality and easy access (accompanied by welcoming sales staff) to the boats we wanted to look at. No fences, no booking in just the ability to look at the boats at the show.

As previous Fairline owners we did visit their stand and experienced the requirement to speak to someone on the desk to get in. Bit strange really, the girl said she would find someone from our region to show us around and when we stood back to wait she then showed us to the first boat and left us to it.

I think Fairline like to give the appearance of exclusivity but in reality their approach does nothing for them. As a direct contrast to a premium brand, we looked at he Pearl 60 with no issues and felt very welcome.

stelican is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by admillington View Post
    Call James Barke direct on his mobile 07813333333 and I am sure he will want to help you. Then you wil be able to see a T44 in an unhurried relaxed manner - knowing him he will leave you on the boat and let you lift all the floors etc. The T44 is a special boat and has to be worth a look before you buy anything. Essex will probadly do an easy part exchange as well so you could have the boat soon. For reference, I am a happy Fairline Customer (7 boats so far) and no connection with Essex Boat yard aparts from paying them money.
    I am sure they would be delighted to move some stock along at a good price!

stelican is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MY littlebirchwoo View Post
    Don't worry, as you have probably guessed I have been fiercely defensive of EBY as I have had dealings with Guy before - he even drove down to Fambridge with me to view a boat... I have their number firmly put away - however, the point was that, on this occasion, we didnt get on board and get a chance to look at the boat.

OK someone has emailed me and said 'well you did go on a Saturday' - fair one... and another of my friends went to the Fairline stand very late and managed to look at just about everything in contrast, however others I spoke to when out and about last night had also said that they too had been 'disuaded' by the efficient - and yes - good looking receptionist!
    This is the problem with having pretty girlies on reception they should adopt the Sunseeker welcome policy if they hope to succeed, Every one is welcomed to view boats and directed to a salesrep if requested

Hurricane is offline Registered User

I donít think we've ever had a problem looking over Fairlines at any boat show.
    Its just their methods are a little "off puting".
    At SIBS, they always have that little gate where you have to go through to get onto the boats - always makes me think twice if I really want to look round.
    On the other hand, the Sealine stand is always much more open and you donít seem to get that same inquisition that you get at both Sunseeker and Fairline.
    SWMBO commented this year that the girls on the Sunseeker and Princess stands didnít even know the names of the sales staff on their respective stands Ė obviously just temporary employed for the show.

As far as getting on boats, I think Princess is about the easiest. In fact, this year, we were even being beckoned onto some as we walked passed.

Likewise, this year, we were beckoned onto the Prestige stand by one of the Ancasta guys who we know well. Good tour as well Ė interesting boat.

mikef is offline Registered User

Blimey, I thought Fairline had moved on from this idiotic marketing strategy. Their requirement only to board with a 'salesman from your area' and at a time to suit them, not you, is stupid in the extreme because it puts potential buyers off. It certainly puts me off and I haven't bothered to visit the Fairline stand at SIBS for a few years. I and a few others complained about this policy at LIBS a couple of years ago and they seemed to get the message then but it seems they've now resorted to type once more. Somebody ought to tell them that pissing off potential customers in a recession is a bad idea