Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Lucky you - most we saw was 18kts, and most usually 13-14.
    First of all nice to have met you.
    Not sure about lucky. In order to keep on course we were sailing constantly on the point of gybing. After four hours the strengthening wind and channel swell soon put a stop to that, so I decided to use the last hour of flood tide and sail east to give us a better angle for Portland. It was the longest, and most uncomfortable crossing I have had, and all the crew were relieved when we finally tied up in Portland Marina.

Laundryman is offline Registered User

Default Congratulations to sailfree

I would like to add my thanks, not just for the enjoyable weekend, but also the help and advice. Collectively, those forum members that offered advice gave me the confidence to make my first channel crossing and also my first night sail. We left late on Sunday and must have missed the wind because we didn't even find enough to make the ensign flutter. We had an uneventful motorsail back until we reached the Bembridge Ledge. There we felt a gust of wind,heard a loud bang and the boom control sheet (not sure of the correct term) snapped resulting in the boom swinging hard to port. 10 minutes of frantic repairs at midnight on the coachroof is an experience I hope not to repeat. With the mainsail stowed and the boom lashed, we had only a short distance to our berth in Gosport, where we grabbed four hours sleep before driving 100 miles back to home and work. I am knackered.
    Anyway, I'm pleased to have taken part and met such a friendly bunch of people. I look forward to next year. Thanks. Alan

Ditto the thanks for the organisation.

Having waited to put Jenny on the Sunday evening ferry home, I went out and anchored in the Rade, servicing the engines, thinking that they would be needed.

Not the case as on Monday 0700, a nice SWly 3-4 all the way, so no fuel used until West Shambles buoy when it all went flat. 1700 alongside in sunshine.

Do I get extra smarty points for sailing all the way there and back? although as Jenny remarked, "Why do the sailing folk go on about motor boats when they seem to spend much of their time motoring?" = discuss!!

On a different level, how do I make the numerous photos I have available for all to see?

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mudisox View Post

On a different level, how do I make the numerous photos I have available for all to see?
    Post them on photobucket. Then embed the url in the following way, but replacing curly brackets with square ones. Photobucket generates the entire reference, BTW, if you copy the lowest reference.

{img}url{/img}
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Talbot is offline Registered User

Add my thanks for the organisation.

I had a good couple of hours under assymetric, and then the reduced wind pus the aggregation of weeds and barnacles underwater meant that the engines had another good work out. Still it took a couple of hours less than the initial crossing / 16 hours this time instead of the 18 on Thursday night.

Now back in Norway.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

galadriel is offline Registered User

May I join in the thanks and congratulation to the Sailfree for once again organising an excellent event.

It was good to catch up with people we only get to see once a year. An early summer rally really ought to be given some thought (Chrissie?)
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

Yes many thanks to Roger and Fergus from John and I. Also congratulations on obtaining the fantastic sunshine!

Having had a false start with a (still) untraceable diesel leak, we are glad that we opted to start again from Chi Marina at 1300 hrs on Friday. In answer to Ken's thread on SB, it was probably the crossing that I was most pleased to get over and done with, which was at at 0230 on Saturday. Lots of diesel, lots of freight carriers, little light apart from a fantastic show of stars and 23 hours between sleeps.

Having faffed about outside Cherbourg with boom preventors yesterday morning , our reward was to sail virtually all the way home with reasonably flat seas.

Thanks again guys.

Default Mid 2012 meet.

Quote Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
    May I join in the thanks and congratulation to the Sailfree for once again organising an excellent event.

It was good to catch up with people we only get to see once a year. An early summer rally really ought to be given some thought (Chrissie?)
    I run a 24 hour event over Midsummer Solstice, so probably 22-23rd June next year ending up at Portland 1700, having started anywhere. Miles may be added by a variety of "cruising activities" are also undertaken.
    Purpose is to have some tall tales to tell during the de-brief with drink. Easy to arrange a meal too if there is sufficient support.

galadriel is offline Registered User

Mudisox, that not such a bad suggestion, Portland is not out of reach of those down west, or us in lake Solent.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

Talbot is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
    Mudisox, that not such a bad suggestion, Portland is not out of reach of those down west, or us in lake Solent.
    wee bit far for me, and I can't do June anyway!

Hopefully next time I can get some crew
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein