Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by mjcp View Post
    I'm assuming that your small size (i.e. shallow draft?) also makes it harder to go aground for the extra 25 miles too
    Nah, makes it easier. See the picture posted earlier

However, I think you will find it's a 25 mile penalty, not bonus

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mjcp View Post
    I'm assuming that your small size (i.e. shallow draft?) also makes it harder to go aground for the extra 25 miles too

mjcp
    Should be Loss of 25 miles for groundings.

On that weekend there is also the start of a round Britain Race for Cars, Boats and Planes starting from the Academy, so plenty to see/hear[pardon?]

Default Evaluation restaurants in Cherbourg

Hi Scuttlebutt rally participants,

It is great to read that you all had a nice stay in Cherbourg during the last Scuttlebutt rally in September. We would be delighted to welcome you all again next year and if there is anything we can do to help with the preparation and the organisation of your event, please feel free to contact me.

In the meantime, if you have any comments about your stay in Cherbourg incl. comments about the restaurants you tried here, please let us know.

Keep on enjoying your sailing and see you again next year!

magali.hamon@ville-cherbourg.fr
    Tel: 06 87 71 09 41

Magli,

Thanks for posting and your warm welcome.

I will probably be arranging next years with Ferus's help - again in September. We pick a weekend with Neap tides so that the navigation is easier for people that choose this event to make their first channel crossing. Not sure how much sailing you do but Neap tides cause less current and result in the boats being swept less to the East and West by the tide in addition if you get the wind against the tide the waves can get steeper and more difficult for smaller boats.

The afternoon gathering on the pontoon has got better each year and it helps introduce new people to the regulars. One concern I do have is that Cherbourg has now provided the sunny afternoon weather for the last 4 years but one year it must rain. You saw the size of the gathering when you briefly joined us. Is there any sheltered accomodation near the marina for an afternoon function of " wine and nibbles" if it pours with rain?

Perhaps you and your partner could join us next year for longer in the afternoon as I am sure many British boat owners would take the opportunity to ask advice on the advantages and costs of berthing in Cherbourg. Please don't reply to that last point on here as the Yachting Monthly Magazine may consider it advertising and delete your reply.

There are many great restaurants in Cherbourg but the problem always revolves around catering for 50 people. Restaurants usually require a deposit but the Yacht Club do not and accept that if there was a gale in the channel few would be able to make it. I am always open to ideas to improve the event but at present the consensus it to arrive early and eat out in small groups on the Friday night and have the Scuttlebutt dinner for everyone at the yacht club on the Saturday.

Regards
    Roger
    Last edited by Sailfree; 25-10-11 at 11:38.

Hi Rorger,

Thanks for your post.

1 - I have looked at the tides in Cherbourg for September 2012 - neap tides are on Monday, the 11th and Monday, the 24th September. There will be less tidal ranges the weekend of the 7/8/9th September than the weekend of the 21st/22nd and 23rd September. Do you think that one of these dates would suit?Either weekend for us would work great.

2 - I will look at premises around the marina for your wine and nibbles reception if the weather is not as favorable as for the past 4 years and I will come back to you.

3 - We would love the opportunity to join your afternoon party and do a quick presentation about the marina in Cherbourg and its price structure if you think that some of the rally participants could be interested in leaving their boat in Cherbourg on a longer term.

4 - I have started to do a list of all the restaurants in Cherbourg which could cater for large groups - I ideally now need to contact them to see if they would accept a reservation with a firm confirmation only on the Friday once you know who exactly is taking part in the rally. Again I will let you know what my findings are.

Let's keep in touch for the organisation of your rally in 2012.

Best wishes,

Magali
    Port Chantereyne
    06 87 71 09 41

Magli,

Now the 2011 event is over not many visit this forum so thrown the question of dates open on the main Scuttlebutt forum and referred to these threads.

Let see what other prefer - I tried to please the most people.

Thanks Roger and let's keep in contact.

I hope that you can still enjoy some sailing in the winter.

Best wishes,

Magali

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234