Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Card

jamesmar is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    Good afternoon:

Threats to avoid sailing in Turkey because of the Blue Card seems to me to be "biting off your nose to spite your face"

Cheers

Squeaky
    There will be a mad scramble next year with people leaving Turkey because of the blue card ,meeting those fleeing from Greece and its economic woes.

Hope they are all au fait with the colregs.
    Last edited by jamesmar; 04-11-11 at 22:30.

affinite is offline Registered User

Could be the perfect storm around Crete if Italy go the way of Greece and they head for the exits also. You can forget your Coll Regs then

Quote Originally Posted by affinite View Post
    Could be the perfect storm around Crete if Italy go the way of Greece and they head for the exits also. You can forget your Coll Regs then
    I don't think that the Italians have a word for colregs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post

I get the impression that most of those worrying about the Blue Card system and it's implementation are British - might be wrong, of course however this had led me to wonder if there is something in the English DNA which prompts them to worry about such subjects as this while citizens from other countries just get on with life.

There has been a report from "Dig" that he was boarded and checked which resulted in even more posts complaining/worrying about the Blue Card system even though there is no mention in his post of the Coast Guard asking about the Blue Card. Nor is there any mention of legal procedures for not having a Blue Card.

Is it possible that there is something in the English DNA which makes them immediately enact any rules proclaimed by the EU while other countries have to be threatened and taken to court of exact some of these rules. English citizens even seem to worry themselves sick excessively worrying about rules which are not being enforced and seem highly unlikely to be enforced primarily because the laws are totally impractical.

I look forward to the day when someone posts actual details of real incidents concerning enforcement of the Blue Card system and by this I don't mean reports about marinas such Marmaris Yat Marina enhancing their bottom line by pestering clients to pay for a card which other marinas give away free.

Threats to avoid sailing in Turkey because of the Blue Card seems to me to be "biting off your nose to spite your face"

Cheers

Squeaky
    Don't know where you get the idea we are British from ,i told you we have a British flagged boat and the CG told us at the time of his visit ,the blue card is being put in to practice later this year.so to me that was warning that next time if we get checked again we better be using one.
    I guess Mr Squeaky is one of those Expats that just stays on his boat all year in the Marina and never gos out.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmar View Post
    There will be a mad scramble next year with people leaving Turkey because of the blue card ,meeting those fleeing from Greece and its economic woes.

Hope they are all au fait with the colregs.
    Nice one!

How about adding the hordes fleeing over-priced Italian marinas? €100 a night for 12m will quickly pay off a few Turkish fines, so that's where they're heading. Towing plastic torpedoes with pipes leading into them from the shower outlets. Come on guys, think outside the box!

Better still, all the latest hot news about what's going on in the Med will be discussed at the Cruising Association on Sunday 27 November. You won't get better data on what to do with Turkish grey water or Greek economic chaos. Some places left. See http://www.cruising.org.uk/node/14663 - open to non-members, Limehouse Dock, on the DLR, east London.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaerselman View Post

Better still, all the latest hot news about what's going on in the Med will be discussed at the Cruising Association on Sunday 27 November. You won't get better data on what to do with Turkish grey water or Greek economic chaos. Some places left. See http://www.cruising.org.uk/node/14663 - open to non-members, Limehouse Dock, on the DLR, east London.
    Like many on the forum I would be interested in coming along,however as I am a fair trek from London it is not possible.
    Is there any chance that a transcript of the discussions could be put online here,as well as Jim's talk on Greece.?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmar View Post
    Like many on the forum I would be interested in coming along,however as I am a fair trek from London it is not possible.
    Is there any chance that a transcript of the discussions could be put online here,as well as Jim's talk on Greece.?
    The presentations are usually very condensed versions of stuff available on public web sites. For instance, Vyv Cox's site for engineering stuff, my site for places stuff, Frank's weather for . . . you get the drift.

The real value is the question/answer dialogue, which is very like this forum, but being face to face is much quicker - and err - much more polite, as well! That's where detail gets fleshed out, with fingers pointing at maps and so on.

There are hand-outs for the presentations; these will be posted on the member's part of the CA web site. I'll ask what can be done for non-members who can't attend - maybe a print package or pdf downloads for a fee. Depends on staff workload (labour costs!) and volunteer time.

Meanwhile, all the maps used in my talk are on my site. People liked the blue blobs for nice places to visit! The photos aren't on the site yet - another month yet.
    JimB

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaerselman View Post
    The presentations are usually very condensed versions of stuff available on public web sites. For instance, Vyv Cox's site for engineering stuff, my site for places stuff, Frank's weather for . . . you get the drift.

The real value is the question/answer dialogue, which is very like this forum, but being face to face is much quicker - and err - much more polite, as well! That's where detail gets fleshed out, with fingers pointing at maps and so on.

There are hand-outs for the presentations; these will be posted on the member's part of the CA web site. I'll ask what can be done for non-members who can't attend - maybe a print package or pdf downloads for a fee. Depends on staff workload (labour costs!) and volunteer time.

Meanwhile, all the maps used in my talk are on my site. People liked the blue blobs for nice places to visit! The photos aren't on the site yet - another month yet.
    I picked this up from your site,will you be posting a up date later?

Fluid Waste Discharge. Discharge of both 'black water' (sewage) and 'grey water' (shower or washing up water) is forbidden within 12nm of the shore, so holding tanks are essential (even if not legally required). Policing has been mainly through a local complaint being made to a harbour authority. Those without grey water store facilities should only pump out with great discretion. Fines are heavy.

newFluid Waste Control. In the Mugla region (SW Turkey, from Bodrum peninsula to Fethiye) a law has been passed requiring locally based vessels to carry "Blue Cards" (smart cards) which will monitor the discharge of fluid waste from holding tanks into local pump-out facilities. Implementation has started in Goçek and will apply there in 2012.

With one possible error (the Blue cards may not be smart cards) that's the best information I have.

On regulations I aim to be as up to date as possible, with weekly trawls through web sites, and emails to sources on the spot if I hear rumours of change. Comments posted on my web site are also very valuable.
    JimB

Default What a shock

I was walking down a pontoon in Netsel Marina as i was passing a small Turkish boat the guy on board was tipping oily waste over board.i was shocked when i told him you will get fine for that he replayed[ no i wont i am Turkish ] one rule for them then?

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast