Default Is there a right or wrong

On the way back on Sunday afternoon after a good weekend in Brighton i come out turn autopilot on and off we go, sea was lumpy with a southerly around 10 mph wind.

As I am heading west I come across lobster pot city and steer keeping them to one side then I see the yacht racers and if I stayed on my current course I would go through the middle, if I turn inland I get closer to pots, do I go further out to sea to avoid them.

Looking at the distance it would have to be a good couple of miles by the time I went out and around their markers and back again. Due to the lumpy sea that would have added to the fuel cost and time. As it was safe and I saw a gap I took it. I was around 100 m to the closest.

That's about right do we think. But I still got the finger from someone on a yacht.

OAF is offline Registered User

I reckon if it was safe to navigate through their course then fine, I did something similar in August when leaving Weymouth and no one gave me any grief! The one who gave you the fingers was obviously just a t**t!

Quote Originally Posted by SolentPhill View Post
    On the way back on Sunday afternoon after a good weekend in Brighton i come out turn autopilot on and off we go, sea was lumpy with a southerly around 10 mph wind.

As I am heading west I come across lobster pot city and steer keeping them to one side then I see the yacht racers and if I stayed on my current course I would go through the middle, if I turn inland I get closer to pots, do I go further out to sea to avoid them.

Looking at the distance it would have to be a good couple of miles by the time I went out and around their markers and back again. Due to the lumpy sea that would have added to the fuel cost and time. As it was safe and I saw a gap I took it. I was around 100 m to the closest.

That's about right do we think. But I still got the finger from someone on a yacht.
    100m isn't that close really but I guess the question is what impact did your wash have on them? I don't get the arrogance of some people who think that just because they are engaged in a fairly pointless activity i.e. racing that they have more rights than someone else. There said it!
    Last edited by Seahope; 26-09-11 at 21:57.

I'm surprised you noticed someone giving you the finger a hundred yards away in lumpy seas.
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

Fantasie 19 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OAF View Post
    I reckon if it was safe to navigate through their course then fine, I did something similar in August when leaving Weymouth and no one gave me any grief! The one who gave you the fingers was obviously just a t**t!
    +1

I bet he was at the back....
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

OAF is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by l'escargot View Post
    I'm surprised you noticed someone giving you the finger a hundred yards away in lumpy seas.
    Maybe he had a Kenny Everit hand!

Ripster is offline Registered User

We've come across this circumstance many times in Torbay and in Chi Harbour. If poss of course we go around the course, but they do set some markers out to run right through the harbour approaches/channels, so you have to go through the middle and take any avoiding action as needed so as not to impede the impressive 5kn competitors hanging on for dear life. I have to say, darne ere in Torbay, we usualy get a wave and a smile as we weave in and out, so your man with the finger sounds like a k**b and probably does it to his fellow competitors too as he sails in last.
    Think outside the box.

rafiki_ is offline Registered User

There were a couple of raggies drifted straight on front of the Yarmouth to Lym ferry last week. Mental. I'm sure they would argue that the Colregs dictate that the ferry was the stand-off vessel, but I know which I would back to win a fight!!