Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mikef is offline Registered User

Default PSP - why is a 9% drop in visitor numbers a success?

Apparently, visitor numbers at SIBS were down 9% on 2010 http://www.mby.com/news/529802/psp-s...9-down-on-2010. Can anyone explain why this constitutes a 'success' for the organisers? I know the economy is in a parlous state but so it was in 2010 and 2009 for that matter.

Sandyman is offline Registered User

Makes you wonder what size of attendance drop they would admit to before conceding it was a failure ?

Its a success only because they say so. Not like negative views or opinions.

I think "just" a 9% drop in attendance at any show could be considered a success in the is climate...I have been to many more that are far worse, HISWA this year for example.

EME is offline Registered User

- Because they expected a 10% drop?
    - Because their customers told them it was successful for them?
    - Because paying customers told them it was an improvement?
    - Because they made more profit?

I dont have a clue but numbers through the gate would not be their only measure of success. (Apart from when such stats suit us all of course! )

mjf is offline Registered User

dunno

I would have said a 9% fall would make it the opposite what would i know not being in the biz.

What I did hear though was the stands / people I see year on year felt the quality of attendeees' was good and biz was being done at all levels. Thats from selling superyacht insurance to suppling retro fit gensets and the like.

You never know on the boat sales - although I know Princess record a sale in an entirely different way to Fairline.

At 16 per head it may just be there are 10% less tire kickers there. Also, if the exhibitors made more than they spent exhibiting then that would be deemed a success? Many variables methinks

If it were not for the good weather over the last weekend it would have been 13% down.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm2 View Post
    If it were not for the good weather over the last weekend it would have been 13% down.
    And the rest .... 

I see attendance numbers a bit like turnover. Sales is what you need to look at - profit.

These shows can pretty much have whatever attendance figures they want, the ideal home show is the same. All they have to do is offer heavily discounted or even free tickets and numbers increase, but I'm not sure that helps anyone.

Real buyers want to be able to peruse the merchandise without having to elbow their way to the front of the queue. Do we need 2 shows including London? Well probably not. Southampton is close enough to London, in fact from Uxbridge it's almost quicker to get to Southampton than it is excel ! But it probably doesn't do vendors any harm to have another chance to follow up prospects from Southampton and forge new relationships.

Southampton needs to be judged on volume of sales, not bodies through the gate.

Henry

Roll on Excel ....only 14 weeks away and can spring be far behind