Page 9 of 190 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Lazy Kipper View Post
    Frankly this whole business of issuing authoritative sounding statements whilst not saying who you actually are appears somewhere between childish and duplicitous behaviour.
    And seeing as we will all discover who you are when you release your formal statement (unless you were planning to sign it RocnaONE ) why bother hiding now?
    COMPLETELY AGREE +1
    From a company whose historic personnel have a habit of being incredibly duplicitous (and that's putting it nicely) on public forums, I would expect to see an over-transparent approach from "someone" who has been appointed to pour oil over troubled waters. Instead while Rocna One is saying positive things, they're all very nicely veiled and then the only evidence of their role in that company is, in their profile:

"UK administrative contact for CMP and Rocna NZ"

An administrative contact can cover anything from the receptionist, to the company administrator, to a third party contracted to write some letters on their behalf...I'm sure that a customer base who, based on the evidence of sailing forums worldwide, feel they have been misled about the quality of a company's product.. would appreciate knowing who the latest mouthpiece for that company is, what level of experience and knowledge they have in that product and the company and then, and only then, start applying scissors to the slack!
    Last edited by FishyInverness; 30-09-11 at 15:39. Reason: correcting spelling.
    My views and opinions are my own and do not represent those of Gaelforce Group.

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_Tradewind View Post
    I'm very much concerned that there ishouls be no breakage in a weld, far more than a bend, where the anchor holds firm yet 'gives' a little.

What hasn't been made clear publicly is that the weld between 620 and the fluke material is as good as between the Bis'80 and the flukes designed and certified characteristics.
    As far as I understand the composition of the steels involved, none would be difficult to weld. The rules governing materials for anchors limit the carbon content to a level in which welding should not be a problem. If anything the Bisplate 80 might be rather more difficult but it is described by Bisalloy as having good weldability. I have read criticisms of the weld of a Chinese manufactured Rocna on a USA forum but this seemed to be directed more at its appearance than any cracks or defects.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

snooks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RocnaONE View Post
    We will provide all the information we have on the steels used in the original China factory, and also the testing data from audited test labs in NZ and Canada, along with videos showing test-to-destruction sequences, where the shanks fail at between 2.5 and 6.6 times the breaking strain of the appropriate G40 chain in a straight pull along the designed, normal use, axis.
    Sorry, please correct me if I'm wrong, but these videos, something doesn't tend to bend if it's pulled in line with the X axis, it's only when it not pulled along the X axis and pulled on the Y axis that a bending forces is exerted. So how would this video reassure a Rocna owner?

No one is doubting the strength in a pull in line with the shank, what was in doubt is a pull 90 from the direction of the shank, think veering, 90 degree wind shift, change of tide etc.

Pulling along the designed axis is only testing the shank in tension. Think carbon fibre rod here, extremely strong in tension, but try to bend it and it shatters.
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GrantKing View Post

I feel that in all fairness we need to allow CMP to sort themselves out and come out with information of how they will "fix" things and also for them to consider that they have not been told the complete facts yet.
    I would have thought that a company that has completed due diligence, particularly when aware of particular problems, and then completed the transaction would know what the situation is and have a plan for the future.
    Peter

aluijten is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snooks View Post
    Pulling along the designed axis is only testing the shank in tension. Think carbon fibre rod here, extremely strong in tension, but try to bend it and it shatters.
    If anything, this made it clear to me why Spade is using such a complicated construction of the shank. Spade uses a triangular (hollow-ish) shank for all but the smallest versions .

I'm saving for a Spade.

snooks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by aluijten View Post
    If anything, this made it clear to me why Spade is using such a complicated construction of the shank. Spade uses a triangular (hollow-ish) shank for all but the smallest versions .

I'm saving for a Spade.
    I know, I have one. The Spade is a good anchor.

For me it was a toss up between the Spade, Manson and Rocna.

All the tests I saw showed the Spade was a top performer all the time, we were going on a three month cruise around Scotland so we were going to be using our anchor more than most Solent sailors. It never let us down.

Another reason for choosing the Spade was that a roll bar would have fouled our pulpit.
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Thumbs down Same Old Boring AnchorYanker Talk

What a load of ballocks this thread has turned out to be: same old shi t, just simmering under the surface by the same old players; it's boring and I thought it would be a refreshing change. If they offered Rocna anchors for free I would not take one. So many other anchor choices.
    Having time is unavoidable.

Scotty_Tradewind is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat: Portsmouth harbour, Wicormarine

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    What a load of ballocks this thread has turned out to be: same old shi t, just simmering under the surface by the same old players; it's boring and I thought it would be a refreshing change. If they offered Rocna anchors for free I would not take one. So many other anchor choices.

an eloquent contribution!
    You never get to where you want to go if you only travel on sunny days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_Tradewind View Post
    an eloquent contribution!
    Of course its not eloquent and neither is it a contribution to the discussion. YBW come on here and makes some mumbo jumbo comment about soon to be announced news to do with Rocna and it turns into the same old sanctimonious clap trap. Isn't it funny that you don't get this amount of hysteria around other anchors that offer the same technical benefits of a Rocna .

A Rocna discussion always degenerates into a sanctimonious slagging match and as such, as a consumer, I would not be interested in their products.
    Having time is unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Nineham View Post
    Hi everyone,

Can we please focus on the issue of Rocna anchors and avoid trying to guess who other users are? I don't think it's fair to focus on this when the discussion about Rocna is far more interesting.

Thanks
    Laura,

Peoples desire to remain anonymous is easily understood. Typical reasons are well known. Often to protect the speaker....

Rocna One is the spokesman for CMP/Rocna and their desire to remain protected behind a mask degrades the accessed quality of the information they present.

So, the fact that they desire not to be held accountable for the statements they make leads me to think that the information they will present is not something they can stand tall and proudly speak. And thus is directly related to the Rocna discussion.

Food for thought.....

Regards, Ethan

Page 9 of 190 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast