Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I donít post much here but from a skiing/wakeboarding point of view jets are useless when it comes to keeping the boat tracking straight! There are "wakeboard specific" type jet boats from Seadoo but they're for people blinded by marketing hype.

Outboard rib wins every time on all fronts bar outright speed for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzer View Post
    I would also say that the sea keeping on a rib is far superior to that on a jet rib. Jet ribs launch themselves very easily.

Also from towing a skier, wakeboarder etc with a ski pole you will get a much better pull. I have found that you can pull the back of a jet rib round if you are a good mono skier.
    Thanks to everyone.
    The two basic priorities are fun and skiing. The little ones constantly wanted a blast in the Williams when our friends brought a 385 down just because it's so damn quick. The 445S looks quite a machine, with 150-160 horsepower in something less than 5 metres long... How quick are similar RIBs with 90HP outboards (the biggest the Brig seems to take)?

I am curious to know about the skiing points, because we have seen people with 60HP boats who simply don't have the power to pull a heavy waterskier out of the water. Would 90 be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzer View Post
    I would also say that the sea keeping on a rib is far superior to that on a jet rib. Jet ribs launch themselves very easily.
    Yep, plus if you leave the water by even an inch with a jet rib (eg. at speed in a slight chop), you lose drive and the nose ploughs.

Also from towing a skier, wakeboarder etc with a ski pole you will get a much better pull. I have found that you can pull the back of a jet rib round if you are a good mono skier.
    Also a better pull to get the skier out of the water, as much more traction with a prop.

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hcelliott View Post
    Thanks to everyone.
    The two basic priorities are fun and skiing. The little ones constantly wanted a blast in the Williams when our friends brought a 385 down just because it's so damn quick. The 445S looks quite a machine, with 150-160 horsepower in something less than 5 metres long... How quick are similar RIBs with 90HP outboards (the biggest the Brig seems to take)?

I am curious to know about the skiing points, because we have seen people with 60HP boats who simply don't have the power to pull a heavy waterskier out of the water. Would 90 be enough?
    The speed difference is not much tbh. Maybe a few mph. Generally on same size boat an outboard with Xhp will be as fast as a RIB with 1.5X hp

Those 60hp skiboats you mention probably have too-coarse props. You generally benefit from a finer prop if you are serious about skiing. Pulling a skiier out with a 60hp stnadard prop is like handbrake starting up a hill with a caravan on the back in 5th gear. My new Yam 50hp 4T on a 4.1m RIB tender (Avon) will not pull a skier out easily with the standard 14inch prop but when I put the 12inch on it pulls very well

Evenrude Etec motors are excellent but so are Yams. I've had personal experience of Avons, Ribcraft and Cobra RIBs and would happily recommend all those makes. Also had a Zodiac RIB of about 5m, wouldn't have one again, didn't like the hull or seating arrangement.

Evenrude Etec motors are excellent but so are Yams. I've had personal experience of Avons, Ribcraft and Cobra RIBs and would happily recommend all those makes. Also had a Zodiac RIB of about 5m, wouldn't have one again, didn't like the hull or seating arrangement.

OK - thanks everyone. Time to take a look at some RIBs.

Might be worth asking the same question on Ribnet - http://www.rib.net/forum/

People there are pretty friendly and willing to give advice. However, they're likely to point you towards the more "serious" RIB brands like Ribcraft, Humber, Osprey, etc., rather than what they might view as "leisure" brands (Brig, Valiant, etc). Also, be aware that there's a preference for Hypalon as tube material rather than PVC.

I've got a 6.5m RIB and have also driven Williams and Avon jet RIBs. Fantastic fun - scarily fast for the size, but also quite a wet ride especially if more than a couple of people onboard. Also agree that they're rather difficult to manouvre (accurately) at slow speed.

I wouldn't personally consider anything below 4m and preferably around 5m is a good size - seaworthy enough but also easily manageable for launching etc.

Gerry

If you are set on leaving it in the water take a look at a versadock. Some wont like a small rib with antifoul when you come to sell her on.

http://www.versadock.com/news.html

Quote Originally Posted by MRC View Post
    If you are set on leaving it in the water take a look at a versadock. Some wont like a small rib with antifoul when you come to sell her on.

http://www.versadock.com/news.html
    Or get in the water with a mask and scrub it off every 4 weeks or so, will only take 30 mins or so. Did my 5.5 m Cobra this way last week.