harstonwood is offline Registered User

Default Cummins Mercruiser 250hp v Volvo Penta

Folks................How does the Cummins Mercruiser 250hp compare with equivalent Volvo units, in terms of performance/servicing cost of spares? anything critical to look out for?

Many Thanks

HW

Hi why are you asking these questions, thinking of swaping boat? firstly the merc engine is far less reliable in my view over the volvo, its a vm motori base unit of 4.2 litres so has the edge on size over the 3.6 volvo block, but ive seen in my time more blown mercs than volvos, merc parts are a fortune just like volvo so take your pick.

The volvo drive is more reiable and simpler to service than the merc.

Im getting ready for the abuse......... NOW!

No offence to any merc owners as you know I service both makes.

Thanks Paul
    Possibly looking at changing boats next year......... Targa 33 still not how I want it, currently doing some work on the "outside" cushions and backrests, re-doing helm seats etc and fitting tek-dek etc. Once done, may put on market (however love the Targa 33 and want to finish it to HC level)

So over the winter am starting to look at a few possible contenders.
    I have been very impressed with the AD41b's, they have not missed a beat......hence the question.............couple of boats have Volvo/Mercruisers as options....
    I have also looked at a Phantom 41 with Cat's ( didn't know that was an option!) and am looking at a boat this week with Cummins mercruisers.

I really value the advice given on this forum, Its been invaluable thus far.

Cheers

Mark

My Princess 410 is virtually same boat as phantom 41 if your interested in that size of flybridge boat? phantom 41 is nice boat but slightly older in design and interior finish over mine, which is for sale.

Cat 355 are a good hp motor but have a lot of "butts" in my eyes to do with servicing, and faults that firstly cost£££ as cat dealer only can still only service fuel side and set tappets etc, also suffer badly with exhaust elbow, and intercooler problems, which are also associated with corrosion issues that lead to premature engine failures, compared to volvos.

Your details have been perused, and its on the list! Got to get all these jobs on the Targa completed, then will put on the market

Its a pride thing..........will only sell when its absolutely how I want it.
    Certainly will be in touch in the spring, if your 410 still on the market, for a look.
    Cheers