Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GRPrich is offline Registered User

Default When does a boat become a classic?

I just wondered when a boat becomes a classic, as i have a 1987 Sea Ray Seville 19CC that seems to be classed a classic when insuring it.
    Does the term "classic" apply once a boat reaches a certain age, or is this something more insurance based?
    Im aware the boat is fairly rare, but im sure this alone doesn't make it a classic surely?
    Any advice would be greatfully received.

Boats become classics about 3 years after you sell them, in my experience.

Completely meaningless! Or rather it can mean what ever you want it to mean. You just have a boat built some years ago, and insurers will assess the level of risk and set their premium accordingly. Generally they are more careful with older boats because they do not know the history, nor the condition of your individual boat - boats tend to deteriorate with age and lose value. So they will be looking for independent confirmation of condition and value (for example a professional survey and valuation) before setting the premium. Rarity makes this more difficult as you have few reference points to establish a value.

When

A,woodworm lightens the structure by 50%
    or
    B,Nobody in their right mind would pay actual money for it.

PCUK is online now Registered User

I think you've nailed it Oldgit!

I think the answer to the question, in these specific circumstances, is that it becomes a classic at an age when the insurers deem it to be so. There's a parallel with cars: For licensing purposes, both an E-Type Jag and an Austin Allegro are "classics".

There have been lots of "What makes a classic boat"? threads over the years. FWIW, I think that a classic boat is one that combines some or all of the following characteristics: design, construction (materials and methods), aesthetics, practicality, age, general public opinion, and so forth....

For example, a Fairline Corniche is generally regarded as a classic mobo and so is a Riva Aquarama. They're regarded as classics for very different reasons and - maybe - by different kinds of people, but that doesn't stop them both being classics in my view.

Oldgit's thesis also has considerable merit
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Exclamation That's a ...classic subject indeed!

And even if oldgit definition is not bad at all, I think the most accurate remains the following, posted by tcm not less than eight (!) years ago. Btw, the reason why I noticed it at that time was that my boat already matched 7 out of 10 points of his checklist.
    And needless to say, she still does...

A classic boat:
    1. is Old
    2. has lots of varnish
    3. has a special little set of pigeon-hole shelves for all the flags
    4. does not have much if any obvious grp or other plastic
    5. has hardly any stainless steel: brass and bronze please
    6. has lines and warps NOT overtly looking as though made of synthetic materials.
    7. does NOT have a trendy name. So "Gertrude" is ok, but "Let's Go" isn't
    8. is hopelessly ineficient in terms of using available space (eg Max 4 berths in a 36 footer, max 6 berths in 60 footer, and note all berths are cramped and ****) , and in terms of outright speed for given length
    9. is/was a utter nightmare maintence-wise, and have bills to prove this is the case. Instead of the using the phrase "utter nightmare", the phrase "colourful history" should be used.
    10. is for sale, and looking for a suitable owner to cherish her. The suitable owner is anyone with a lot of loot.

When the annual cost of ownership exceeds the actual price you could achieve by selling it by the factor of Pi (ie 3 & a bit). Scientific or wot.

Nautorius is offline Registered User

I agree with the majority of what has been said here but I would expand a point JHR has made.

To me a classic boat is one for which there is no modern equivalent that offers the same style of Boating. One which was built for a period of time which no longer exists....or one that set a new standard.

This means that boats like:
    Fairline Carrera 24, Targa 28, Corniche 31, Targa 33 & Turbo 36
    Sealine 218, S28, F33 & 365 sportbridge,
    Princess 266 & 288 Riviera & 415,
    Cranchi Hobby 21, Turchese 24, Endurance 35
    Fletcher 21ft Arrowbolt and 28 Zingaro
    Broom Capricorn 20ft, Ocean 30
    Falcon 22
    Hunton Gazelle RS28
    Sunseeker Hawk 29, Tomahawk 37, commanche 40 and Camargue 46

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Nautorius; 11-10-11 at 11:56.
    Boating is the only thing that keeps me sane!

vas is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    And even if oldgit definition is not bad at all, I think the most accurate remains the following, posted by tcm not less than eight (!) years ago. Btw, the reason why I noticed it at that time was that my boat already matched 7 out of 10 points of his checklist.
    And needless to say, she still does...

A classic boat:
    1. is Old
    2. has lots of varnish
    3. has a special little set of pigeon-hole shelves for all the flags
    4. does not have much if any obvious grp or other plastic
    5. has hardly any stainless steel: brass and bronze please
    6. has lines and warps NOT overtly looking as though made of synthetic materials.
    7. does NOT have a trendy name. So "Gertrude" is ok, but "Let's Go" isn't
    8. is hopelessly ineficient in terms of using available space (eg Max 4 berths in a 36 footer, max 6 berths in 60 footer, and note all berths are cramped and ****) , and in terms of outright speed for given length
    9. is/was a utter nightmare maintence-wise, and have bills to prove this is the case. Instead of the using the phrase "utter nightmare", the phrase "colourful history" should be used.
    10. is for sale, and looking for a suitable owner to cherish her. The suitable owner is anyone with a lot of loot.
    nice one MM, I think I'm at 6.5-7.0 points here [yes I do have #3 and I love it, although dunno which flag is which...]