Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    There will be no divorce when Mrs Tom sees the thing anchored in the golden light of Villefanche as the airport car drops her off by La Mere Germaine to step into the waiting tender. The thing will cruise all of the Med, then beyond.
    Care to remind us what your fuel bill has been this season so far? IIRC it was approximately half of the value of Mainshiptom's new boat.
    Today's Weather Forecast: Scorchio.

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lovezoo View Post
    Care to remind us what your fuel bill has been this season so far? IIRC it was approximately half of the value of Mainshiptom's new boat.
    I don't mind reminding you but I really don't want to remind myself. Ballparkishly that might be in the right ballpark. But Tom's proposed new boat will burn much less, especially with her current engine configuration

mainshiptom is offline Registered User

Default Speed?

I don't mind reminding you but I really don't want to remind myself. Ballparkishly that might be in the right ballpark. But Tom's proposed new boat will burn much less, especially with her current engine configuration
    John

waht sort of speed can I expect from this large engine? 6 Knots?

Tom

Ballparkishly ...
    is that a technical term?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly625 View Post
    is that a technical term?
    Yes. Just like "a Jeffery" is 10,000 cash in an envelope, it's a special technical term for 53,000 litres in a boat Firefly :-)

mikef is offline Registered User

Blimey mike don't let swmbo read your diamond comment. Yes an Ibiza night in Tom's about-to-be 25m is not cheap but it's very far from the amount you need to be offered a chair at your local Graff* shop
    My SWMBO is a Ratners girl. I just haven't had the balls to tell her yet though

I maybe am working hard on my next boat project though, still secret, but don't think I am doing nowt in the messing-about-in-boats department Mike!
    Bloody hell, already fed up with the Sq78? Are you singlehandedly trying to drag the British economy back into growth? I do hope it's British

Quote Originally Posted by mainshiptom View Post
    John

waht sort of speed can I expect from this large engine? 6 Knots?

Tom
    Anything you like. you're buying the engine!
    Off the cuff, Persistance will have a nice hull speed of 10 knots and need 275 continuous hp to achieve that, so a nice B rated 350hp diesel will do the job very well on something like 60 litres an hour. That's all very guessworkishoffthecuff

epervier is online now Registered User

guessworkishoffthecuff

another engineering technical term?

Fifty years ago, my foreman mech fitter said, "near enough isn't good enough" but by twenty past four in the afternoon, he said, near enough is good enough for me, get finished up, we're going home in ten mins
    Last edited by epervier; 19-10-11 at 16:49.
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

Yes. Just like "a Jeffery" is 10,000 cash in an envelope, it's a special technical term for 53,000 litres in a boat Firefly :-)
    well at least Match isn't sitting in her mooring not being used (like a lot of med boats!) , superb first year usage jfm!

Anything you like. you're buying the engine!
    Off the cuff, Persistance will have a nice hull speed of 10 knots and need 275 continuous hp to achieve that, so a nice B rated 350hp diesel will do the job very well on something like 60 litres an hour. That's all very guessworkishoffthecuff
    I've got to say, in a guessing manner I would want a nice lazy 400hp lump. You could do some long passages in Persistance and when on a long passage sometimes timing tides etc can just mean you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, would be rediculous IMO to be sitting in that for a few hours with a 5/6knot tide against you and not being able to do anything about it....

Lots of comments on this little ship, some pushing you to buy and lots against. We all post threads on here sometimes with our minds already made up, but its just interesting to poke the forum for some responses. I look at Persistance with a real yearning to one day be in a position to purchase and make good something like this. I go into everything in life thinking how hard can it be, and assume I can do it until someone tells me otherwise, (the unicycle in my garage proves that...). I know looking at Persistance that if I got hold of it I would make that into a beauty... trouble is even with a budget of say 500k to do the work, the 74ft solent mooring would still hurt a bit...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast