Ru88ell is online now Registered User

Default Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

UPDATED 10/11/11 - The dates for this weekend has been set as:-

Meet Yarmouth Friday 4th May 2011
    Sail for Poole AM Saturday 5th May

=============================

Following on from this post:-

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290454

PhillM and I thought it would be a good idea to put on a cruise from the West Solent area to Poole and back, aimed specifically at novices in small sailing boats, say up to 26' o/a. Think of it as a less daunting version of the Cherbourg cruise.

Obviously this needs to be discussed in more detail; 2 or 3 days, max/min numbers, destination, minimum experience? It would be good to have some of you more experienced chaps and chapesses along for advice, etc.

Looking at the Almanac, it appears that the weekend of 4th/5th/6th May would meet the requirements. All times in UTC.

Friday May 4th – Portsmouth
    0240 1.0
    0922 4.5
    1501 0.8
    So should facilitate a good morning sail to Yarmouth for people comming from the East.

Saturday May 5th – Portsmouth
    0329 0.7
    1015 4.7
    1550 0.6
    So if we leave 0915 UTC (10.15 BST) we should catch the stream going west. We should aim to arrive Poole just after LW, which is at 1535 0.5.

Sunday May 6th
    Poole LW is at 0403 0.4 so looking at the tidal estimate in the Almanac it looks like the tide will be on the ebb from 10.00 onwards.

Portsmouth –
    1106 4.8
    1638 0.5
    So using HW +5 we can get back into the Solent from 1606 onwards.

Depending on the weather we could then go back into Yarmouth or use the stream to get down as far as Cowes before sunset at 1952. I guess the decision as where each person wants to stop will be up to each skipper and depend on how tired they and their crew are.

Monday 7th May - for those who dont want to carry on East from Yarmouth until Monday (and that most likly would include us)

Portsmouth
    0505 0.4
    1159 4.9
    1726 0.5
    So there could be an early morning sail back eastwards.

Please leave a post if you would like your name added to the list.

Ru88ell - paid
    PhillM - paid
    prv - paid
    Seajet - paid - Pulled out.
    Giblets - paid
    Laundryman - paid
    Kylema 2 - paid
    AuldSot - paid
    colhel - not stopping at Yarmouth
    Lustyd - paid
    Paul_G - paid
    Solentboat - paid - Pulled out, so we have a vacancy.
    ib1 - paid
    Chrissie - paid
    Simondjuk - paid
    BarryH - paid - Pulled out, so we have another vacancy. (Boat untested)
    Gallan947 - paid - Pulled out, so we have another vacancy. (Boat untested)

The list is now closed. If you would like to come please note that we are starting a waiting list on a first come, first served basis.
    Last edited by Ru88ell; 29-04-12 at 17:08. Reason: Seajet pulled out.

Just starting to plan next year's fixture list for the sailing club and I note that there is an extra Bank Holiday for Betty's Diamond Jubilee. So 2nd to 5th June is an extra long weekend.
    ۞

prv is offline Registered User

I might be interested, purely in the social aspects. Sailed over to Poole for the first time last year; didn't realise it was meant to be a big deal

(24 foot)

Pete

Ru88ell is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    ..didn't realise it was meant to be a big deal
    It probably isn't, but two of us were thinking about doing it individually, but thought we make a social weekend of it. There will be people who've never been on 'the big sea' before, so hopefully this will flush them out.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Sailed over to Poole for the first time last year; didn't realise it was meant to be a big deal
    It isn't a big deal - really - but if you've only sailed in Lake Solent and have crew who aren't sure, then sailing over in company will help ...

Great idea - but I don't think my vessel will qualify ... perhaps I can come over in the dinghy! ...

Yes, as a novice (trust me on this!) I'd be up for that. Thought about doing summat similar this year, but domestic events prevented it........although my lack of forward planning ability may possibly have something to do with that, I'm no organiser, sadly. As long as the emphasis is on novice rather than boat size (we're hoping to trade up from 26' to a 32 ish footer soon) it sounds ideal for me.
    "Most people have some means of filling up the gap between perception & reality, and, after all, in those circumstances there are worse things than (put preferred vice here)".

galadriel is offline Registered User

That is a fabulous idea, you should be encouraged to do this, there are, I'm sure lots of people who want to do their first 'long' cruise and what you propose is ideal.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    It isn't a big deal - really - but if you've only sailed in Lake Solent and have crew who aren't sure, then sailing over in company will help ...

Great idea - but I don't think my vessel will qualify ... perhaps I can come over in the dinghy! ...
    Fireball, donít let the size of your vessel deter you form joining. Size really isnít an issue. And if youíre so much faster than the rest of use you can be always greet us slow-coaches on the pontoon with the largerís!

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Fireball, donít let the size of your vessel deter you form joining. Size really isnít an issue. And if youíre so much faster than the rest of use you can be always greet us slow-coaches on the pontoon with the largerís!
    The dinghy would be faster than most boats for sure ... bung the kite up and we can do 15 knots happily .... nowhere to put the largers though ...

prv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    bung the kite up and we can do 15 knots happily .... nowhere to put the largers though ...
    15 knots sounds fun - gizzus a go in the dinghy and I'll transport the larger lagers for you on Kindred Spirit

Pete