Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    colhel is offline Registered User

When I stayed at Poole Haven previously they had an agreement with the hotel opposite that visitors could use their carpark for 3.00 per day.

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    When I stayed at Poole Haven previously they had an agreement with the hotel opposite that visitors could use their carpark for 3.00 per day.
    Do they provide lift in & out facilities then? Would be cheaper than staying afloat.
    Hic dracones.

Oh ha blody ha.

Possibly it might be useful if like me your better half might not want to do the sailing but might want to stay on board

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    Oh ha blody ha.

Possibly it might be useful if like me your better half might not want to do the sailing but might want to stay on board
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist it!
    Hic dracones.

Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist it!
    Perhaps you should try harder

bump

I am really looking forward to this trip. its going to be greatto start sailing out of the Solent and doing it in company is a great way to start.

I know that all our plans are weather dependent. My usual rule of thumb is: max wind F4 gusting 5, sea smooth or slight, visability good. Any sign of a forcast 6, moderate sea or poor vis and I stay in the marina.

I usually use www.sailingweather.co.uk as well as the inshore forcast. Most of the time they are similar but Sailing Weather forcasts are more localliased and there were a couple of occasions last year when taking the inshore forcast only would have kept us in but the Sailingweather forcast (correctly) predicted less wind and sea within the Solent and one occasion when it forcast more (again rightly) and we stayed in.

What is everyone's idea of "go" and "no go" weather.
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

Seajet is offline Registered User

PhillM,

I'd agree with F4 gusting 5 as a sensible limit; and we could do without any wind on the nose, a SW would be a PITA !

I usually take the North Channel, much better - shorter and calmer - than going out to the Needles, one just rounds Hurst reasonably close ( no heroics here ! ) then keeps parallel to the shore with N Head buoy as a waypoint - it's not far -I forget the distance - but the buoy is usually difficult to spot for a little while.

At this stage the tide sets S towards the Shingles, not a worry just something to keep an eye on.

Once the green cone N Head has been left to port, the way is clear and one can set a rhumb line straight for Anvil Point, which may or may not be visible !

I always make for Poole Fairway buoy and enter using the W side of the main entrance, small boat channel.

I really don't fancy the Swashway, did try it once on leaving Poole in perfect conditions and it was a doddle, but my eyes were on the depthsounder...think it's been dredged & marked better since then.

Also, it's a few years since I've been to Poole and I don't have a new almanac, does anyone know if the fuel barge is still there on the N side of Brownsea ? Very handy not just for fuel ( petrol in my case ) but also has basic foods, water, booze...

BTW PhilM, hope you don't mind but just looked up your profile & see you have a Cheverton Caravelle, lovely pretty boats, I thought about getting one a while ago.

I really hope the weather is kind to us; I wonder if we ought to have a Plan B weekend in mind; not least as, if we go to the trouble of sorting that, it makes Plan A more likely to work out !

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    PhillM,

BTW PhilM, hope you don't mind but just looked up your profile & see you have a Cheverton Caravelle, lovely pretty boats, I thought about getting one a while ago.

Andy
    Thanks Andy. Got her for very little but with lots to do. Have done loads and am hoping to have her A1 for the trip. Mind you the more I do the more I find to do!
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

prv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Also, it's a few years since I've been to Poole and I don't have a new almanac, does anyone know if the fuel barge is still there on the N side of Brownsea ? Very handy not just for fuel ( petrol in my case ) but also has basic foods, water, booze...
    Was last year - and joined by an ice-cream barge if I remember rightly

Pete

Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast